Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Welding Exhaust - Question For You Welders Out There

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2022, 11:14 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 592 Likes on 335 Posts
Default Welding Exhaust - Question For You Welders Out There

I have some leaks in my exhaust that I would like to repair. I've never welded before but I was thinking of picking up a cheap flux core welder like the Forney Easy Weld 140 and learning to do the work myself. I paused on the purchase because according to Forney, you cant weld stainless steel with the Forney Easy Weld 140. That got me thinking - is our stock exhaust stainless steel or mild steel. If it is mild then I am good to go.

Old 05-02-2022, 11:15 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by cvhyatt
I have some leaks in my exhaust that I would like to repair. I've never welded before but I was thinking of picking up a cheap flux core welder like the Forney Easy Weld 140 and learning to do the work myself. I paused on the purchase because according to Forney, you cant weld stainless steel with the Forney Easy Weld 140. That got me thinking - is our stock exhaust stainless steel or mild steel. If it is mild then I am good to go.
98% sure it's mild steel based on the welding I did on mine. Put a magnet on it, most stainless it won't stick too.

Old 05-02-2022, 11:46 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 771 Likes on 507 Posts

its mild

Old 05-02-2022, 12:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Awesome. Thanks guys!

Old 05-02-2022, 01:24 PM
Mudding
Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

I just assumed it was stainless because up by the cats looked like stainless to me. I picked up some flux core stainless wire. I didn't know it existed, but it sounded like more fun that piecing my exhaust together with a mig welder would be more fun than tacking it and taking it over to the shop where I keep my tig welder.

Old 05-02-2022, 01:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 353 Likes on 227 Posts

Piggybacking on to this question: Is welding an exhaust system or components thereof something a super amateur welder could do? I too am interested in this but my welding...umm...leaves something to be desired, and I would be afraid of constantly burning through the tubes.

Old 05-02-2022, 01:49 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by greisinb
Piggybacking on to this question: Is welding an exhaust system or components thereof something a super amateur welder could do? I too am interested in this but my welding...umm...leaves something to be desired, and I would be afraid of constantly burning through the tubes.
I just assumed that was how all people started out welding haha. I didn't exactly start welding exhaust stuff, but it was one of my first solo projects to straight pipe my old Isuzu trooper when I was 16.
If you are using a mig welder then go for it. If you burn through you move faster, turn it down, or do smaller welds like long tacks. It's unlikely to kill anyone if you screw up so I say do it.

Old 05-02-2022, 01:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I will let you know this weekend. I just bought my first welding kit so i can fix some leaks in the exhaust. Never done it before but I figured - why not. I'll do some practice runs on some pipe before I do the real thing. I found this video to be helpful:

The following 2 users liked this post by cvhyatt:
greisinb (05-02-2022), T-rex (05-04-2022)
Old 05-02-2022, 02:00 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by cvhyatt
I will let you know this weekend. I just bought my first welding kit so i can fix some leaks in the exhaust. Never done it before but I figured - why not. I'll do some practice runs on some pipe before I do the real thing. I found this video to be helpful: https://youtu.be/klgnQ6LS8fA
I'll check my cat pipes when I get home too. Make sure you get a good wire wheel on a grinder if you don't have one. Cleanliness is a big factor in weld success. Maybe not as much as paint or engine building, but still key.

The following users liked this post:
whowa004 (05-02-2022)
Old 05-02-2022, 02:08 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 771 Likes on 507 Posts

You'll be fine. Just practice and make sure the areas are prepped well.

The following 2 users liked this post by whowa004:
greisinb (05-02-2022), Karmakannon (05-02-2022)

Quick Reply: Welding Exhaust - Question For You Welders Out There