Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is this?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 10:59 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What is this?

This is behind my passenger side storage unit where my subwoofer is. I took it all out and saw this vent it was filthy. I cleaned it and left it out and when driving I get a whistle sound so I put it back in and with out the panel up it is nosey. I was going to dynamite this area but not sure if I should cover this vent. I figure it is in place fro a reason. What is it for?

Attached Thumbnails What is this?-1.jpg   What is this?-2.jpg  
Old 10-23-2012, 12:49 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is called a outlet vent!

Old 10-23-2012, 01:13 AM
Winching

so it removes from where? It is hid behind a panel and if I were to get a snorkel it would allow water into the cabin. Can I close it off?

Old 10-23-2012, 01:23 AM
Banned

Reference 80-8 in rave. Sure you could remove it its located behind right storage compartment just a rubber vent if your taking your truck that deep in water, water will be coming in from more places than just here. A snorkel has nothing to do with this vent as your snorkel is in the front drivers side and this vent is in the rear passenger side.

You say it removes from where? Your looking at it... pull it out. Also if you pull your carpet up you will find holes all over your truck also behind body panels they just have a piece of black tape over them water will force that tape off and water will be coming in so it will find its way in regardless.

Last edited by lr2001silver; 10-23-2012 at 01:33 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:50 AM
Winching
Default Lil flood water Isaac style

Okay I am done! You mean these damn things leak? lr2001 thanks, I will be blocking it off then. I had my girl through some pretty good flood water and not a drop came inside so I guess that tape held pretty well. I will check your reference in Rave. The vent does not make sense. See attached pics of the flood and this was a low point. When I got in the middle the hood of my truck was under water. I have a cold air modified air intake so I made a plywood box around my air filter and let it sit in water so it swelled up and closed all the gaps then put it on my girl. Water was almost up to my wiper blades and nothing came in or got wet. My hood was covered, I stopped taking Pictures when I was under water. For all the people that say you can't get wet with a k&N I beg to differ. I did! I went super slow though in low gear foot off the gas.

Attached Thumbnails What is this?-imag0346.jpg   What is this?-imag0348.jpg  
Old 10-23-2012, 03:03 AM
Banned

Awesome! Sounds like alit of fun:-) pretty deep water. the outlet vent does serve its purpose though it is there to control cabin pressure. but its not going to be the end of the world if you remove/block it off. Your welcome glad I could help!