Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What could this Noise be?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 06:13 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Urban Panzer
Have you jacked it up yet ?
No, Im going to try that tomorrow, Im borrowing a good jack from a friend rather than using a bottle jack.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:17 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by NiteTrain
remove lever and disengage CDL with 10mm wrench
That will have to be last resort... If it comes down to it thats what im gonna have to do.
Pretty pissed that I just paid to have it installed and its already having problems.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:45 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Camdisco24
That will have to be last resort... If it comes down to it thats what im gonna have to do.
Pretty pissed that I just paid to have it installed and its already having problems.
OH! you paid somebody to install the CDL lever? Hell, call them up and demand they pay to have it towed and repaired!

Old 01-10-2010, 12:08 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by NiteTrain
OH! you paid somebody to install the CDL lever? Hell, call them up and demand they pay to have it towed and repaired!
Well sort of... He let me use his garage and tools and he walked me through how to do it and did the hard stuff. He only charged me half the service charge which was a really good deal. He's been my mechanic for the rover since I bought it but he had never installed the manual lever so it was his first time. I did call him but he wont be back til Monday. Hopefully he'll help me fix it for little or nothing, espesically if its something we did wrong... which I cant think of...

Still though, I paid 400 bucks for the lever and about 120 for the install so I need this thing to be flawless!!

Old 01-15-2010, 04:13 PM
TReK

Just to update, we have now gotten the CDL to disengage but the sound is still there...
My mechanic fears it could be something in in the transfer case. The good news is, it could be minor, the bad news... it could be a tough fix. At this point its out of my (very small) mechanical ability so i've had it towed to the shop for a deeper look at the TC.

I'll let you guys know what he finds out. FINGER CROSSED ITS SOMETHING INEXPENSIVE!

Old 01-15-2010, 05:32 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

FYI, if the light is on, the case is locked. You can dis-engage it with the lever, but if you are driving on dry pavement, it will wind up like a clock. If you don't drive backwards while turning, or take if to loose ground, it will stay locked up like yours did. Check your front driveshaft, especially at the centering ball and make sure it is all greased well. Driving with it locked over 45 mph on dry pavement will hurt it. It loads up the shafts and case. I dont care what Spike says. It is not good...

Hope the best for you!

Old 01-15-2010, 08:05 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy
FYI, if the light is on, the case is locked. You can dis-engage it with the lever, but if you are driving on dry pavement, it will wind up like a clock. If you don't drive backwards while turning, or take if to loose ground, it will stay locked up like yours did. Check your front driveshaft, especially at the centering ball and make sure it is all greased well. Driving with it locked over 45 mph on dry pavement will hurt it. It loads up the shafts and case. I dont care what Spike says. It is not good...

Hope the best for you!
Yeah I knew when the light wouldnt go off it wasnt good. It didnt drive it real far with it on so I hope its not too bad. So... If it is wound up in the T-case, what does that mean as far as fixing it? Is the T-case toast?

Old 01-23-2010, 11:30 AM
TReK

Ok folks... Problem as been solved but it wasnt exactly a cheap fix. My mechanic said this was the first time he had ever seen it happen on a Disco. The whole thing was kind of over my head, but I'll try to explain it the best I can:

Apparently, one of the bearings in the T-case broke, this caused issues in the T-case and the gears were messed up. We had to rebuild the T-case and he really worked hard to find me the best deal and even brought in his buddy who was really good at T-case rebuilds to get it done faster. He doesnt think it was the CDL that caused it, but rather something that could have been developing over time. Like I said, my mechanical knowledge is pretty vague beyond the simple stuff, so I just trying to repeat what he told me.

The final cost of repair was $1,100. (parts and labor) He said it was the strangest thing he's ever seen on a Disco because usually the T-case is one of the strongest parts on a LR. This is the first major problem I've ever had with the Disco, and hopefully it will be the last for some time.

Thanks for all the help, hopefully no one else will have this problem!

Old 02-04-2010, 10:01 AM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drive shaft.

Originally Posted by camdisco24
so i just drove it down the street a bit and im almost convinced its coming from the t-case now. It sounds like something is spinning or has come loose. The faster i go the faster the noise is....
i had the same problem and it was the drive shaft.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:09 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I just read this. That sucks. I will bet you had a weak bearing and driving with it locked made it fail. What I meant by it winding up is that the front and rear shaft turn equally when it is locked. When you turn, the front and rear do not use up the same amount of revolutions, so pressure is put on the front or rear shaft. Usually, one of the tires will slip, relieving the pressure, but if you are making small turns on dry pavement with good tires, the load will build slowly and won't release. I will bet the bearing popped while driving and locked everything up.

Next time you get off the trail and the light won't go off, try driving in reverse in tight circles. That will relieve the pressure.