Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What kind of motor oil does the stealership use?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 09:55 AM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What kind of motor oil does the stealership use?

I know I'll get flamed, but I'm planning to stick with conventional motor oil. My LR mechanic doesn't run syn in his LR and recommends against running syn in LR because it increases leakage.

My truck runs fine with conventional oil and has absolutely zero leakage. I'd like to continue using the same type (every service/oil change for my truck was done at the stealership before I bought it, but now I'll change it myself).

So, what kind of motor oil does the dealership use?

Thanks, Dustin

Last edited by oysterhead; 08-06-2009 at 09:58 AM.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:33 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Truthfully, I would just call and ask your local rover dealer. Get it from the horses mouth! Im sure they will tell you so that you can buy it from them. I use conventional now that I have changed the oil 5 times in 5 months to clean it out. There is nothing wrong with conventional unless you neglect your oil. When it is neglected the detergents break down and leaves deposits. Change it when you should and there will be no problems. I used synthetic to clean mine out when I bought it.

Last edited by oljohnboy; 08-06-2009 at 10:37 AM.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:57 AM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use whatever oil you want, but try to make sure it is Xw40/50. You may want to look into Valvoline Maxlife 10w40, it is a blend. Or try Valvoline white bottle or pennzoil yellow bottle. They are both conventional and very good oils.

Your mechanic needs to brush up on his oil info. Synthetic does not cause leaks.

btw, I wouldn't trust anything the dealer says. They put 5w30 in my rover and it ran like crap. At least put in 10w30, not the oil you're putting in the 2009 Range Rover, completely different engines! Rant off.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:05 AM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Agreed but if you live up north then a good 5W-30 such as Mobile 1 extended is a fine choice for the winter months.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:15 AM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Rover
Your mechanic needs to brush up on his oil info. Synthetic does not cause leaks.
I've seen a few posts (including one by Spike) that said his Disco leaked like crazy when first went to syn, but then stopped a few changes later.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:37 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Don't believe everything you read.
First dealers do not all run the same fluid, some use Dino some use synthetic.
I run synthetic and with over 100,000 miles on it, I have no leaks.
Use want you want and use either a Mobil1-301 or a K&N 3001 filter for the best oil protection.

The following users liked this post:
PilotTerry (02-21-2019)
Old 08-06-2009, 03:58 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by oysterhead
I've seen a few posts (including one by Spike) that said his Disco leaked like crazy when first went to syn, but then stopped a few changes later.
Synthetic can clear away the sludge and reveal an existing leak. It doesn't "cause" leaks or eat gaskets ect.

If you're worried about leaks then try Valvoline Maxlife. One of the best oils for keeping leaks at bay.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:00 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by lipadj46
Agreed but if you live up north then a good 5W-30 such as Mobile 1 extended is a fine choice for the winter months.
I wouldn't use 5w30 unless I was seeing below freezing continuously. Even if you're up north you want to run at least a 5w40. Actually, I would never run a 5w30 even if it was below freezing. I would just get a 0w40.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:09 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had fine luck with Mobile 1 5W-30 extended in the winter (Buffalo, NY), zero consumption, zero leaks. Truck runs about the same though with my mileage up past 111,000 I may explore more options for this winter's oil change.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:40 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Here is the truth about dealers and the oil they use...dealers are most dealerships are indie owned and operated, so they can use whatever they want.
Now there are 3 bulk oil salesmen in the waiting room, one sells Valvoline, one sells Castrol, one sells Pennzoil...which one do you think the dealer is going to use? The cheapest one, he signs a contract, once that contract is up he will go with the lowest bidder again, which may be Joes Oil Company next time.
They dont care what goes into your truck, they are out to make money and they will use whatever oil they can get for the cheapest price, its just business.
It is the same thing will coolant, I used to sell bulk coolant, I used to sell to alot of dealers, once the car was out of warranty they would use my coolant in the customer cars because it was cheaper for the dealer but they could still charge the OEM price.

Quick Reply: What kind of motor oil does the stealership use?