Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to lokk for?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 01:12 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to lokk for?

I am looking for a 2002 Land Rover Discovery. I like the trucks and hear they are good. The 2002 seems to be around my price range. Okay, I really know nothing about these rigs. What should I look for in options? What would be a tell-tale sign to steer away from a particular truck? I need all the help I can get due to the wifes medical condition (Cancer) money is tight and I am only getting one shot at this. Thank you in advance for any advise you can offer.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:20 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: What to lokk for?

SE has more options. A 2002 will not have CDL, only pre 2001 and the 2004 have it. If you are going into a money tight situation you may want to research the vehicle a little more. They eat money fast at random. Most on=wners get rid of them when a problem pops up and it needs something. Parts aren't too bad, but mechanics charge a lot to work on them. Plan on having an extra $2K to throw in it right off the bat to fix the little things that need it. Do some searches on here for buying. There have been a lot of threads posted.Another thing is that you are looking at 12 in town and 17 on the highway at best. Nothing to make it better.

Sorry to hear about your situation.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:33 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can handle any mehanical problems. I have been an aviation mechanic for the past 24 years F-14 Tomcats and now C-130 Hercules, I have all the common tools I should ever need. Electrial problems are another story. Me and electricity are not freinds. Is the disco's electrical systems reliable? I know every truck is different, but just in general are there a lot of electrical
problems?

Old 09-11-2008, 01:37 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

D2's (mid-99 and up) are better than D1's. Haven't heard much, as long as you keep things stock. That said, if you do have a problem, they like to use little multi-function units... bear to diagnose.. With the right wiring diagrams, and help from here, you should be ok though.

I just wanted to warn you about the gas mileage. Do a search for the 60K service DiscoMike has written up. Plan on knocking this out of the way first thing no matter what you get...