Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing Cross Country

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2020, 07:15 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing Cross Country

2004 Land Rover Discovery 2 HSE
no ACE and coil conversion done

Hey,

I'm moving from Nashville to Missoula (~2000 miles). I've rented a 6*12 Uhaul trailer. It's going to have most of my stuff in it but shouldn't be too bad. I'd guess I'm putting about 2000 lbs of crap in a double axle trailer.

I've recently upgraded the suspension to OME medium duty springs and nitrocharcher shocks. It's on 255/65/r16 at tires on steel modular wheels. It's recently had a transmission service, new wheel hubs, valve and exhaust gaskets new plugs and wires and new brake rotors and pads. Been running it on t6 rotella for about a year.

Any advice about towing that distance? Total suggested milleage, frequency and duration of stops, etc.

Advice is much appreciated.

Doug

Old 06-23-2020, 08:02 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 246 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hale
2004 Land Rover Discovery 2 HSE
no ACE and coil conversion done

Hey,

I'm moving from Nashville to Missoula (~2000 miles). I've rented a 6*12 Uhaul trailer. It's going to have most of my stuff in it but shouldn't be too bad. I'd guess I'm putting about 2000 lbs of crap in a double axle trailer.

I've recently upgraded the suspension to OME medium duty springs and nitrocharcher shocks. It's on 255/65/r16 at tires on steel modular wheels. It's recently had a transmission service, new wheel hubs, valve and exhaust gaskets new plugs and wires and new brake rotors and pads. Been running it on t6 rotella for about a year.

Any advice about towing that distance? Total suggested milleage, frequency and duration of stops, etc.

Advice is much appreciated.

Doug
to be clear, you are using the D2 to tow the trailer?

if so, i have towed a trailer full of tools and power equipment from Chicago to St. Louis with my '04 D2 with no issues.

used gear 3 for any all low speeds and starts from a stop and passing on the highway. gave myself plenty of room between me and any vehicle ahead of me and only used D(rive) when i had reached cruising speed on the highway.

give yourself plenty of room to brake and slowdown. and, of course avoid sudden lanes changes if at all possible as this could cause the trailer to wag you.

edit: oh, yeah. expect ****tier fuel mileage than normal.

Last edited by jastutte; 06-23-2020 at 08:04 AM.
Old 06-23-2020, 08:08 AM
5th Gear

Yes, towing with the D2. Thanks for the advice re gearing etc.

Old 06-23-2020, 08:49 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

My rule for towing is...stop often and look things over. It only takes a few moments to pull into a rest area or gas station, to kick the tires (or better yet check pressure), check lights again, chains and hitch. Sounds like you have your Dll in fine shape. Just double check fluid levels, all of them (trans, transfer case, axles, engine, washer, brake and power steering), before you head out.

A good cell service, credit card - with plenty of room and bring agood book to read while waiting for tow truck (okay, joking about the last one...but... The Grapes of Wrath is a good read).

Good luck, with your move.

Old 06-23-2020, 09:06 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 401 Likes on 278 Posts

have you done a recent trans engine diff/t case fluid change or level check? You won't really strain the system until you hit the mountains...

The following users liked this post:
Doug Hale (06-23-2020)
Old 06-23-2020, 04:04 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

Just make sure any tool you may need are not packed under everything else, nothing worse than having to unload a full trailer to get to some thing to fix a problem, so spared water oils, should be on hand and have easy access to get too

Doug Hale (06-23-2020)
Old 06-23-2020, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,662 Posts

I've used a D2 to haul a D1 & a D2 with a dolly. 3rd gear for sure in the hilly bits and like mentioned above give yourself lots of space to stop and when you stop always check your load.

My engine temps were honestly within the normal range and if you slowly build up your speed vs floor it your MPG won't be that bad. I went from 13mpg to 11mpg when I hauled the D1 & D2.

Doug Hale (06-23-2020)
Old 06-23-2020, 04:50 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

most I ever did with my Disco, I towed my 32000 pound sailboat from NorthPort NY to Atlantic City NY. It was on a 1200 pound trailer and having just bought it, did not know the trailer brakes were inoperative when I set off to get it. 350 miles later, through the rush hour of Nothern NJ and down the highways, the only issues I had was severe rear sag from the too big trailer and somebody from Canada tried to slip in between my disco and the trailer before realizing I was towing.

The following 2 users liked this post by Art H:
Doug Hale (06-23-2020), Erik S Bakke Sr. (09-14-2020)
Old 06-23-2020, 05:07 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by XRAD
have you done a recent trans engine diff/t case fluid change or level check? You won't really strain the system until you hit the mountains...
I have, with the service kit from AB. So fluids, filter, and gasket I think

Old 06-23-2020, 05:07 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 819 Likes on 596 Posts

What!?! Did they think the boat was rolling down the highway under its own power?

The Deputy (06-23-2020)

Quick Reply: Towing Cross Country