Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   What to mix with antifreeze? (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/what-mix-antifreeze-43313/)

disc oh no 08-27-2011 09:19 PM

What to mix with antifreeze?

Hey guys, what's the best thing to mix your antifreeze with? I have heard not to use tap water and also not to use distilled water???? What is the best thing to use and why? Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Kalel 08-27-2011 09:27 PM

Buy the 50/50 mix and then you do not have to worry about it.

buick215 08-27-2011 09:27 PM

Most antifreeze nowadays comes premixed 50/50, half antifreeze and half water. If the antifreeze that you have or buy is not premixed than I recommend that you use distilled water. It has no minerals that can clog your cooling system. I don't know where your heard that distilled water was bad because it is not.

Savannah Buzz 08-27-2011 09:35 PM

A bucket... Use distilled water. Don't use tap water, and especially don't use well water (out in the country) - too much lime/calcium. some forum members report good results with the water wetter product, which reduces the heat in the cooling system, and is compatible with anti-freeze.

disc oh no 08-27-2011 09:44 PM

That's what I thought I usually use distilled water in my other vehicles but I've been told not to use it in a Rover????? I guess they didn't know whawt they were talking about. I usually don't buy the pre-mixed stuff. I remember a while ago before they realized that they could trick people into the one step, no guessing, no mixing crap they tell people to sell them REALLY EXPENSIVE water! I don't mind mixing the stuff myself.

Kalel 08-27-2011 10:00 PM

Get some Peak 50/50, it is really good stuff. Just flushed mine with it.

bosshogt 08-27-2011 11:25 PM

Today on CarTalk Tom & Ray talked about coolant and premix. They also mentioned a filter for coolant similar to an oil filter. I had heard about this before. I guess all Semis use them. Seem like a good idea. Next coolant flush Im filling with Peak Global Life Time(Gold container). Here in the Midwest at a harware store named Menards 1 gal is only 7.99 so its cheaper than any other Antifreeze and great quality. I think Peak Global only comes 50/50 premix. You can also top off Dex-Cool with it as detailed on the back of the container.

buick215 08-28-2011 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by bosshogt (Post 264947)
Today on CarTalk Tom & Ray talked about coolant and premix. They also mentioned a filter for coolant similar to an oil filter. I had heard about this before. I guess all Semis use them. Seem like a good idea. Next coolant flush Im filling with Peak Global Life Time(Gold container). Here in the Midwest at a harware store named Menards 1 gal is only 7.99 so its cheaper than any other Antifreeze and great quality. I think Peak Global only comes 50/50 premix. You can also top off Dex-Cool with it as detailed on the back of the container.

Peak Global Life Time (Gold container) is what I use and is consider to be very good because of it's organic acids. The only minus is finding a place that carries it, where I live the only place that carries it is Walgreens.

disc oh no 08-28-2011 12:37 AM

How do they add the filter to the system? And you say it's just like an oil filter?

bosshogt 08-28-2011 02:10 AM

I found how the filter is added. Its somthing like an in-line fuel filter but with shut off valves on each end. So you would not add air to your cooling system each time its changed. I Googled it and found this nice writeup on a Ford diesel truck.
Napa sells a full kit. Check out how dirty that filter is on this website

Coolant Filter Retrofit