Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to mix with antifreeze?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 09:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
Default What to mix with antifreeze?

Hey guys, what's the best thing to mix your antifreeze with? I have heard not to use tap water and also not to use distilled water???? What is the best thing to use and why? Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Old 08-27-2011, 09:27 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy the 50/50 mix and then you do not have to worry about it.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:27 PM
Winching

Most antifreeze nowadays comes premixed 50/50, half antifreeze and half water. If the antifreeze that you have or buy is not premixed than I recommend that you use distilled water. It has no minerals that can clog your cooling system. I don't know where your heard that distilled water was bad because it is not.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

A bucket... Use distilled water. Don't use tap water, and especially don't use well water (out in the country) - too much lime/calcium. some forum members report good results with the water wetter product, which reduces the heat in the cooling system, and is compatible with anti-freeze.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 08-27-2011 at 10:12 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle

That's what I thought I usually use distilled water in my other vehicles but I've been told not to use it in a Rover????? I guess they didn't know whawt they were talking about. I usually don't buy the pre-mixed stuff. I remember a while ago before they realized that they could trick people into the one step, no guessing, no mixing crap they tell people to sell them REALLY EXPENSIVE water! I don't mind mixing the stuff myself.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:00 PM
Mudding

Get some Peak 50/50, it is really good stuff. Just flushed mine with it.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Today on CarTalk Tom & Ray talked about coolant and premix. They also mentioned a filter for coolant similar to an oil filter. I had heard about this before. I guess all Semis use them. Seem like a good idea. Next coolant flush Im filling with Peak Global Life Time(Gold container). Here in the Midwest at a harware store named Menards 1 gal is only 7.99 so its cheaper than any other Antifreeze and great quality. I think Peak Global only comes 50/50 premix. You can also top off Dex-Cool with it as detailed on the back of the container.

Old 08-28-2011, 12:16 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by bosshogt
Today on CarTalk Tom & Ray talked about coolant and premix. They also mentioned a filter for coolant similar to an oil filter. I had heard about this before. I guess all Semis use them. Seem like a good idea. Next coolant flush Im filling with Peak Global Life Time(Gold container). Here in the Midwest at a harware store named Menards 1 gal is only 7.99 so its cheaper than any other Antifreeze and great quality. I think Peak Global only comes 50/50 premix. You can also top off Dex-Cool with it as detailed on the back of the container.
Peak Global Life Time (Gold container) is what I use and is consider to be very good because of it's organic acids. The only minus is finding a place that carries it, where I live the only place that carries it is Walgreens.

Old 08-28-2011, 12:37 AM
Recovery Vehicle

How do they add the filter to the system? And you say it's just like an oil filter?

Old 08-28-2011, 02:10 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I found how the filter is added. Its somthing like an in-line fuel filter but with shut off valves on each end. So you would not add air to your cooling system each time its changed. I Googled it and found this nice writeup on a Ford diesel truck.
Napa sells a full kit. Check out how dirty that filter is on this website

Coolant Filter Retrofit

Quick Reply: What to mix with antifreeze?