Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What parts should I snag?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2022 | 08:04 PM
|
Overlanding
Default What parts should I snag?

I got this 03 D2 se7 as a parts truck when I bought my 02. What parts would be recommended to pull from it to keep as spares?
​​​​​​ The 03 is almost complete with very minor things missing. It did have some front end damage but structurally is sound no frame damage. Head lights, grill, bumper gone maybe other parts but I'm not familiar with all of what's supposed to be there.

List of things I believe would be good to keep from what I've seen on the forum:
Door lock actuators, Window motors, Blower for climate control, Maybe the climate control unit, Rear air system ( believe it may be a rear a/c unit) shift bezel, Xfer shift boot, Tail lights, Possibly the side mirrors, Rear view window mirror, The jump seat belts (sadly no jump seats)

​​​​​​Under the hood, Alternator, A/c compressor, Ps pump, Steering gear box, Water pump if it's good, Ps reservoir, Abs modulator, Fuse panel, Radiator (although I've read they are junk)
cooling fan, Maf, T stat which I already grabbed and tested tested, not sure if I should pull the tcase, Prop shafts, Hubs, Front axle shafts, Calipers

I may have missed something I do want or may want but this is just a list as I went. I don't have a ton of rooms with all my bikes and parts for bikes so. I've got roughly two shelves in my garage I can put storage totes on so trying not to keep larger parts unless it's a good idea.

I've already called around junk yards they want to charge me for them to take it if I strip it. the local metal recycler won't take it with no title. I did ask a few of the boggs and boulders guys around here if anyone may want it as mud truck. Had a few inquiries already. Basically I got the parts truck free so I'm not to worried what I get for it or what's left of it. The wife suggested doing the pickup mod to it and stuffing another motor in it if needed then make weekend toy off road. I'm not really feeling like keeping it but the ideas are tempting.

I will say if there is anyone in the north west Florida area needing something for their truck I'm willing to work something out in trade. If someone really needs something then I'll consider selling parts but it would need to be picked up.

Last edited by Betty_White; 03-04-2022 at 08:07 PM.
Old 03-05-2022 | 06:20 AM
Camel Trophy

I would pull the brake booster and fuel pump, although fuel pump is a very high mileage failure. The taillights are different 02 to 03 but if those 03's are not cracked they are worth $. You might consider the door straps, at least one from pass doors. Interior fuse box of course. Ignition cyl and door lock cyl (I would buy that off of you). Steering wheel if the leather is good is worth $. Lower seat squabs. All the window and seat heater switches. Sunroof motors. Tail door bezel. Always good to have spare ECU/BCU/IC laying around for testing. CPS as a spare is small, ignition coils as spares, wires too. Master cyllinder, trans cooler can be used as an engine oil cooler. Rear driveshaft donut. XYZ switch is not that hard to get to. Cruise control module, SAI solenoids if the 02 has them, trans cooler temp switch, airbox boot,

The following users liked this post:
Betty_White (03-05-2022)
Old 03-05-2022 | 06:37 AM
TReK

Forget the radiator, fan, and thermostat.
Grab the airbox, lid, MAT, and ducting all the way up to the throttle body. This will all be a different size to the ones on your 02 truck so you will need to be able to swap it as a whole set.

The following users liked this post:
Betty_White (03-05-2022)
Old 03-05-2022 | 03:00 PM
Camel Trophy

Electric fan in front of condenser, bezel around radio and heat control, plastic cowl (if not cracked), every switch in sight and harness plugs (door lock, windows, cluster surround switches, etc), heater fan motor.

Old 03-05-2022 | 04:32 PM
Rock Crawling

Replace the damaged parts and sell on Bring a Trailer for $25K!

Old 03-05-2022 | 06:16 PM
|
Overlanding

Lock cylinder on ignition was already stripped out. So key and door cylinder kinda useless. The rear door out handle plastic cover shot. Well I think I've got a pretty good idea what to strip off the truck and the rest I'll just have to cut up and sell as scrap pieces in sizes the recycling yard won't recognize. I already got a letter from the state verifying vehicle wasn't stolen or any issues was even signed by sheriff deputy validating vehicle. Scrap yard and recycler still said nope. Hell I may even be able to donate to the artificial reef group here in Florida. As for what I'll strip off I'm not going to keep to much for myself. So I will post a list in the sales section once I have things off. I'll try to have pictures of cosmetic components so everyone knows there condition. Unfortunately I may not have time to test all electrical as wife has agreed stripping it is best and has set time limit. The motor itself I really think is good probably just needs head gasket but. I truly don't have time to handle it.

Also we currently have two D2s. Betty mine an 03 se7 and the wife's truck which is an 04 se. Then this parts vehicle which honestly looks more like it sat in a scrap yard for last few years and dealt with all the hurricanes we've been hit by.

I'll post here once I have it torn down most likely this week.

Old 03-06-2022 | 05:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Since the tail lights are different from your ‘02 - ‘03, if the ones from the parts truck are in really good shape, I’d buy them from you. (Sorry, the vulture in me is starting to circle…. )

Old 03-06-2022 | 06:57 PM
Rock Crawling

What color is the interior?

Old 03-07-2022 | 08:25 PM
|
Overlanding

Lol I knew I'd get some interest pretty quickly. The interior is basically destroyed. Only some of the interior panels seem to have survived. As for the tail lights they aren't bad one looks almost perfect (driver side) the other seems to have a crack in it (passenger side). I'll take pics of both and post of the tail lights. The interior I'll snap a few pics of anything that is fair or not destroyed. Honestly it's mix and matched a good bit so not sure what was done with it. I can't promise anything specific yet. I do hate pulling this truck apart but I'm trying to get this truck done and outta here asap. Front seats are destroyed second row appears okay but may be missing center seat belt. Steering wheel ok and is leather.

I have however already claimed a number of engine parts as I found a big hole in the side of the block. Also started pulling control modules not sure where all of them are. Trying to reference rave but damn it's a lot of page turning. Is there maybe a list of where they usually are hidden at. Found srs, and few items to right and behind glove box. Not sure what others are around. Started pulling the rear a/c system (yes vacuumed it down first). Still needing to pull headliner and all the ducting as well as the harness section that goes with it. Must have had a pretty good sound system installed. There's a few heavier gauge power leads but missing some components. Wife was pulling door lock units and window regulators. Not sure what else she managed to pull if anything. Was a busy weekend.

Pulled the rear step and installed on her truck now have to pull my rear bumper to replace her missing one. But going to have to find lights to put in it or some led setup to make sure she still has reverse lights. That's why I asked about the tail lights. Is there any way to take the 02 tail lights and hook them up on her 04. She'd prefer to have higher mount reverse lights. And I prefer to have the lower mount ones in the rear bumper I'm making for the 02. Mine isn't a big deal I can run wires and mount dual action spots for reverse or spot mode. She's a little picky about keeping it a factory wired even though I can solder with a magnifying glass if need be. Appears to be differences in the taillight harness connections. Not sure if I can pull them through the body and maybe a quick plug harness swap or not. I'll figure it out either way.

The list isn't bad but some of these parts are a royal pita to get to or remove quickly. I know long posts each time but just want to be detailed.

​​​​​