Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What tools do you routinely carry when out and about?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 02:03 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default What tools do you routinely carry when out and about?

Just curious as to what others keep in their Discoverys just in case of a roadside repair. I only have one storage box in the back as I removed the left side and installed a sub woofer for my stereo so I had to be creative. I found some gortex zipper tool bags and I separate tools into different bags to make it easier to fine what I want like screwdrivers or wrench sets. Also keeps from having a big mess in the bottom of the bin.

So here is my rear bin tool kit:
1.One complete socket set, a nice Husky kit I found half price at HDeopt with both 1/4 and 3/8 drive in metric and imperial and long and short sockets.
2. Bag of assorted size screwdrivers, both Phillips and slotted, Allen and Torx.
3. Bag of assorted pliers, needle nose, channel locks and my favorite... the vice grips.
4. Bag of assorted size open/box end metric wrenches
5. Electrical tape and duct tape, latex and leather gloves, assorted size cable ties, small can of WD-40, roll of Teflon plumbers tape. some hose clamps and some crimp style wiring connectors.
6. Jumper cables, some bungee cords, yakima hold down starps and the remote for my winch.
7. A small ball peen hammer.

I have a separate bag of items specifically for 4 wheel recovery and only throw it in the back when doing that activity.

What do others carry?

Last edited by Chrisinhouston; 06-21-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:08 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

I have a full socket/wrench set, as well as this tool roll filled to the edge with tools. It weighs around 30lbs.
Name:  iTuo7Ky.png
Views: 44
Size:  475.6 KB

ROVERS NORTH TOOL ROLL w/3 SOCKET WRENCH, RNTR02 - Land Rover Parts | Rovers North

Old 06-21-2013, 03:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Every 10 & 13 mm tool imaginable with extensions & swivels.

Old 06-21-2013, 04:07 PM
Winching
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

everything I need except the one I want when in the field.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:01 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffh
everything I need except the one I want when in the field.
and thattttt's why I stopped carrying spare parts, they're never the ones you break.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
I have a full socket/wrench set, as well as this tool roll filled to the edge with tools. It weighs around 30lbs.

ROVERS NORTH TOOL ROLL w/3 SOCKET WRENCH, RNTR02 - Land Rover Parts | Rovers North
I won one of those at SCARR.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Really, most of my tools are in my 'go bag', so some stuff isn't necessary

Full set of metric and standard wrenches (they're all in a roll similar to the one above), both fixed and ratcheting, and three different sized adjustable wrenches from 6" to 12"
full metric socket set with flex and shorty ratchets, and 3", 6", and 18" extensions (popular mechanics brand, but I've beat the **** out of them for 15 years without a single issue)
various pliers, vice grips, dykes, screwdrivers, and picks (to include a set of 12" needle nose which are my "land rover pliers")
1/2" drive breaker bar with a few large sockets and a 6" extension
adapters to use any size socket with any size ratchet
multimeter
metric and standard allen wrenches
set of torx bits
jumper cables
extra drive belt
jug for water

I'm definitely forgetting some stuff.

I don't carry a hammer. I probly should buy a ball peen to throw in the bag.

Last edited by dr. mordo; 06-21-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:39 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I carry the same as mentioned above, except one thing I did the other day was went to a photo copy shop and had the RAVE manual printed out and put in a three ring binder. one thing I would like is a sat-link to this forum with a dash mount screen, since it seem to be more helpful than the RAVE most times!

Oh and a jug of each required fluid and a jerry can of water! ( when on long road trips)

Old 06-21-2013, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Mojigglins
I carry the same as mentioned above, except one thing I did the other day was went to a photo copy shop and had the RAVE manual printed out and put in a three ring binder. one thing I would like is a sat-link to this forum with a dash mount screen, since it seem to be more helpful than the RAVE most times!

Oh and a jug of each required fluid and a jerry can of water! ( when on long road trips)
I installed the kindle app on my iphone. Then you can just store the rave workshop manual for offline viewing.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:23 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jafir
I installed the kindle app on my iphone. Then you can just store the rave workshop manual for offline viewing.
I like looking at full size pages. call me old fashioned ( I just relize I am now a senior member now). And the binder does not require batteries

Last edited by Mojigglins; 06-21-2013 at 06:25 PM.

Quick Reply: What tools do you routinely carry when out and about?