Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What type of new tires to buy??

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008 | 11:48 PM
|
6th Gear
Default What type of new tires to buy??

I have a 2004 Discovery SE7 and about 26,000 miles on it. I've been getting shaking on the front end when I brake between 45 and 55mph. I had that problem about 9 months ago and the dealer found a warped rotor which was replaced. This time when I took it in, they said it's my tires. The dealer said they were almost at the minimum tread and were badly cupped. They are the original Goodyear Wrangler HP's. I was surprised to see that they only last 26k but I know the vehicle is heavy and these are 255/55-R18 tires. I've been told that is the problem with this particular tire. I have not checked balancing on them yet but if I need new ones (which it sound like I do) can anyone recommend some. I do mostly on-road highway, suburban driving but like to go off-road as well (nothing extreme but some dirt/sand, hill climbing.

Discount tire suggested the Michelin Latitude Touring HP run flat. Any ideas quickly would be good as I'm going on vacation next Tuesday and need to get them ordered and replaced if that is my only option. THanks!

Old 03-12-2008 | 12:27 AM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: What type of new tires to buy??

I have the 16"wheelson my '04,so I can't be of help on which tire is best for the 18" wheels, but I will say that my experience with runflats on a Mini Cooper was not good. Rode rougher than a grocery cart until I dropped the runflats and went with BFG Traction T/As.

Dave

Old 03-12-2008 | 04:35 AM
Three Wheeling

We just bought the Michelin Latitudes for our 03 and I must say it's a new ride. We don't offroad much so these tires are perfect for us.They're quite and smooth.
The truck had Michelin LTX M/S tires from the factory and they cupped early. They were very loud and the ride was horrible.

Old 03-12-2008 | 07:41 AM

Try looking up Nexen Roadian HP. I've put about 20,000 highway miles on mine and they're holding up beautifully. They're rated 400 wear and have a high heat rating as well. They run quiet and smooth on the highway. The best part is that I paid about $100.00 each for them, and that's for the 18" wheels. I'm buying another set just like them if these ever wear out.

Old 03-12-2008 | 08:26 AM
TReK

If you just want road tires, I have had good luck with the toyo brand. I have normal road tires and they are great in the rain and the wear is not bad at all. I am abou to upgrade to some off road/on road tires, but if I had to get them again I would. What ever you do stay away from goodyear. They are struggling right now and their quality has gone way down over the past few years. The wear and problems with goodyear is pathetic. They are even stuggling in auto racing right now! Goodyear is going to be looking at some finacial problems if they dont get it together soon. Anyways, my toyo tires did pretty well off road I might add, even though that is not what they are made for. Of course that might just be the disco working its magic.

Old 03-12-2008 | 08:55 AM
Administrator

I know many people that are using Bridgstone Duellers and are really pleased with them. The Dueller comes in 3 different tread designs, depending on the type of driving you do.

Old 03-12-2008 | 05:19 PM
Mudding

I've been very happy with my Yokohama Geolanders. I have 30K on them and should get another 15-20K without pushing it. I bought them at discount tire and later put a set on my GMC pickup too. Anydecent tire will transform your truck's ride and handling. A good place to get info on tires is tirerack.com. Lots of tire reviews by owners you may find useful.

Old 03-12-2008 | 11:56 PM
|
6th Gear

I think I'm going with the Michelin Latitudes. They make an "H" rated and a "V" rated. NTB suggested the V rated but then Sears Auto said only the "H" rated was a "XL" (Xtra Load) tire which of course I want. Has anyone heard about this?

Thanks

Old 03-13-2008 | 05:36 AM
Three Wheeling

Go to Michelin.com and search for your vehicle. The Latitude is the only tire that came up for my 03 DiscoII and it's "H" rated.

Old 03-13-2008 | 12:22 PM
Drifting

I just looked at those tires. They don't look all that great for off roading, but I bet they are pretty darn respectable on the road. The lugs are too tightly spaced for any decent off-road enviornments. I am running the Michelin Cross Terrain on my truck and have had more than respectable success on them. I have the 225/65/16 109H Cross Terrain SUV tires. Apparently they have been very highly rated for on road and some moderate off road use. I get great street performance and the subtle off-roading I have done has been fine. Never had a traction issue yet. They are quiet and no vibration or steering feedback to speak of. I am including a link to my tires and you can see the difference between the two tread designs. I am not sure that the Cross Terrains come in the 18" size though.

Michelin Cross Terrain

Michelin Latitude Tour

Good luck with either one. My father told me that you can't go too wrong with Michelin tires. I've been a believer of that for many years now.

Quick Reply: What type of new tires to buy??