Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovery 2002 - ACE System noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 02:03 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discovery 2002 - ACE System noise

HI all was after some advice from someone in the know
i have just purchased my first Discovery and love it
it is a Discovery 2002 with ACE, v8, Auto
however have a problem with a noise from it.
it its making a noise similar to a power steering pumt that is out of fluid,
i have had the steering pump changed and it is not that noise
i have taken it to my local land rover man and he has put it on his system and confirms it is the ACE system

he thinks it may be the pump.... or air in the system..
the ACE system works fine...
now if i go for a pump out of a broken system do i need to get the system bled? if he need to bleed it he sais it will be big money
its just the noise that is not nice,, the noise also is louder when going round left and right hand bends ( its not wheel bearings either )

any help or advice would be great

thanks

Tim

Old 01-26-2011, 12:14 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My experience

I had my pump replaced. The cost was 2500.00 installed.

They left the inlet connection loose and I pumped most of the fluid all over the highway several months later. So at that point I would say my system was as yours would be if you replaced the pump.

I removed the inlet and filled the inlet connection with fluid to prime the pump. I reconnected the inlet and would run the engine for a minute or so and while looking down into the reservoir looking for indication of fluid flow. It took 2 or three times performing this process to get the pump primed. Fluid movement in the reservoir is slight but there is definitely difference between flow and no flow. I then filled up the reservoir and ran the engine with the reservoir cap off and filled it as it went down. The pump circulates fluid constantly so any air would flow back the reservoir and vent.

No air, no problems. Has worked great ever since.

If after this you had air, or thought you did, you could take it to have it bled. As long as the pump is primed and is flowing fluid you won't have problems. If the pump is not primed and not flowing you WILL burn it up. That red light on your dash is not kidding around.

As far as the priming process goes you won't burn it up trying to get it primed if you keep it to a minute or so.

Last edited by Jabez; 01-26-2011 at 12:18 PM.