Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the skinny on installing oil pressure and temp gauges?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 11:12 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts

Install has begun. They fit perfectly after a teensy bit of dremeling.

Old 06-04-2016, 08:29 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 166 Likes on 105 Posts

like it!

Old 06-04-2016, 06:59 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

That looks awesome. Unfortunately for me, when I installed the double-din Pioneer head unit, I had to lower the A/C control and took up the space you are using for the gauges. What 4 gauges are you hooking up? I went with the same company, but ordered the square one that incorporates 2 gauges, coolant temp and oil pressure.
gauge:
What's the skinny on installing oil pressure and temp gauges?-2813a.jpg
oil pressure sensor:
What's the skinny on installing oil pressure and temp gauges?-p210g.jpg
coolant temp sensor:
What's the skinny on installing oil pressure and temp gauges?-washer-sensor2.jpg

Old 06-06-2016, 11:53 AM
Pro Wrench

I was going to get the dual-display units, but I realized they wouldn't fit in the cup-holder location.

I'm going with:
- Water temp (blue)
- Oil pressure (green)
- Oil temp (green)
- Voltmeter (amber) ... for now, eventually want to do trans temp

More pics to come soon as I get this thing assembled. Lots of wires.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:21 PM
Pro Wrench

Quick question, is it safe for the car to be sitting without coolant and oil for 1-3 weeks? Of course it won't be running. I want to practice cutting the top radiator hose to fit the glow shift adapter before cutting the brand new $100 hose. Amongst other pending projects that seem to be all interconnected...

Old 06-27-2016, 02:26 PM
Pro Wrench

Here's my first shot at the install. Working on adding a bezel around the gauges. Also see my UG mounted in the left tray w/ the cord routed behind the dash. USB port installed on the switch blank. Bluetooth mic and gauge alarm mounted to the left of the dash. Messed up a bit and measured with the instrument bezel off, and drilling that soft foam dash material is hard to do cleanly. In hindsight I think I would have installed both into the instrument bezel instead

Last edited by Jeff Blake; 06-27-2016 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-27-2016, 09:34 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Blake
Well his rig is practically an RV, different purposes than what most of us are doing.

I really don't like the looks of the circular shaped gauges from glowshift or similar. They look tacky... a-pillar... dash... they just don't look good. Non-factory. The Auber units look really appealing to me, so I took the plunge and ordered 2x green (oil pressure and temp), 1x blue (water temp), and 1x amber (battery voltage). Could have left out the battery voltage, but the cupholder area fits 4 perfectly, so whatever. $400 or so all-in. Then I ordered the top-hose adapter for water temp, and the oil filter sandwich from Glowshift. Should be next weekend's project.

Another part that delays my oil change and coolant flush. Man, I've been wanting to do some basic repairs since I got the rover a couple weeks ago, but spending all this time on the internet has opened up project after project that all inter-connect... and they make sense to delay... at this rate I'll end up rebuilding the whole truck in one big go.

For example, today, went to the hardware store (3 stores) to get the new nuts for the drive shaft replacement. None had grade 5, so I got grade 8. But of course, none of the stores had the bolts in grade 8 either, so I had to order those online today for $2. $6 ground shipping or $60 next day... well then, ground it is, and wait another week I will
If you got the 1-3/4 inch Glowshift adapter you need to go ahead and order the correct size or you will be delayed even longer. You want the 1-1/4 (32mm) unit for the upper coolant hose assembly. There is a 1.5 inch on the radiator outlet which is the largest hose on a Disco.
Have you read the sticky at the top of this D2 forum? 60,000 mile maintenance or something. There is about 6-months worth stuff to make your Disco very reliable.

Last edited by chubbs878; 06-27-2016 at 09:37 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:13 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Joemamma1954
That looks awesome. Unfortunately for me, when I installed the double-din Pioneer head unit, I had to lower the A/C control and took up the space you are using for the gauges. What 4 gauges are you hooking up? I went with the same company, but ordered the square one that incorporates 2 gauges, coolant temp and oil pressure.
gauge:
Attachment 30194
oil pressure sensor:
Attachment 30195
coolant temp sensor:
Attachment 30196
Can you send me the link to the gauges? I can't find anything that I like. I did just get this to clean up the look of the upper hose assembly since splicing in the stat housing and temp sender. The flexible hose should work great and make it all look proper.

Attached Thumbnails What's the skinny on installing oil pressure and temp gauges?-image.jpg  
Old 07-25-2016, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

That's a RHD D1 so it could very well be a Diesel in that video.

Old 07-25-2016, 11:55 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by chubbs878
Can you send me the link to the gauges? I can't find anything that I like.
Need eye exam? Try first post of thread, second line of body is a link.

Quick Reply: What's the skinny on installing oil pressure and temp gauges?