Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel speed sensor low-voltage ABS code

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2021, 05:52 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel speed sensor low-voltage ABS code

My front left wheel speed sensor is replaced and an ABS code that shows low-voltage that is causing the brake warning light and TC light to come on.

I replaced with a new wheel speed sensor and it’s still throwing a code after I’ve reset it and drove it multiple times. When I test the lead coming from the slabs it shows about 4 V. When I test the wire from the female plug in the engine bay to the actual sensor it shows me about .25 V.

I’ve looked all in the workshop manual, how many volts should be coming from the slabs and at the sensor? Any idea what might be causing this or the fix?

Old 12-12-2021, 08:19 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,503 Likes on 1,066 Posts

The signal is not a pure analog voltage signal. It is a digital up down signal as the reluctor wheel goes past the sensor. The ECU counts the frequency, not the volts. The code "low voltage" is a poor choice of words. It actually means the ECU is not getting a good signal from the sensor. This typically occurs due to either damaged wiring or a worn hub. A worn hub changes the distance from the sensor to the reluctor and gives and inconsistent signal.

Old 12-13-2021, 10:27 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Extinct
The signal is not a pure analog voltage signal. It is a digital up down signal as the reluctor wheel goes past the sensor. The ECU counts the frequency, not the volts. The code "low voltage" is a poor choice of words. It actually means the ECU is not getting a good signal from the sensor. This typically occurs due to either damaged wiring or a worn hub. A worn hub changes the distance from the sensor to the reluctor and gives and inconsistent signal.

So is my next option to just replace the hub?

Old 12-13-2021, 07:15 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,503 Likes on 1,066 Posts

I would check the wiring thoroughly first, you can do simple ohm test on the connector to the sensor back to the SLABs ECU to make sure it is not shorted to ground, the other wire, or an open circuit. Why was the original replaced? If you really want to be sure you can swap with a known good from the other side to confirm it is not the sensor.

Old 12-13-2021, 07:40 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Extinct
I would check the wiring thoroughly first, you can do simple ohm test on the connector to the sensor back to the SLABs ECU to make sure it is not shorted to ground, the other wire, or an open circuit. Why was the original replaced? If you really want to be sure you can swap with a known good from the other side to confirm it is not the sensor.

where exactly would you use the leads to test? As mentioned above I am reviving 4v at the wire in the engine bay coming from the ECU.

I replaced the brakes recently and I notice some running on the wheel speed sensor that was showing some exposed wiring. And also as mentioned the low voltage code.

it would be quite a lot work to swap sensors and and put all back together and road test. Once I clear the code I am having to drive a few feet for the new code to come up and warning lights to come on.

mic I’m confident at this point it’s not the sensor would the next step be to replace the hub?

Last edited by Jon.P; 12-13-2021 at 07:46 PM.
Old 12-13-2021, 09:42 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 442 Likes on 279 Posts

Welcome to my 2020-2021. I've had nine hubs all give up the ghost due to the garbage being shipped from China. Same codes as yours. I just recently had luck finding an AllMakes hub made in the UK from Rovers North. All Atlantic British and Lucky8 have been able to get is Eurospare (from China) and those have all systematically failed.

Old 12-13-2021, 09:46 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Brandon318
Welcome to my 2020-2021. I've had nine hubs all give up the ghost due to the garbage being shipped from China. Same codes as yours. I just recently had luck finding an AllMakes hub made in the UK from Rovers North. All Atlantic British and Lucky8 have been able to get is Eurospare (from China) and those have all systematically failed.
Do you have a link to the hub you purchased by AllMakes and did this specific hub solve your problem?

Did you have the code and warning lights before changing the Hub?

Old 12-13-2021, 09:50 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 442 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon.P
Do you have a link to the hub you purchased by AllMakes and did this specific hub solve your problem?

Did you have the code and warning lights before changing the Hub?
https://www.roversnorth.com/parts/pl...r_discovery_ii

And yep, the four amigos before installing. It's always that same low voltage code when it goes out. Usually coupled with the 'rough road signal implausible' code too. But not always.

Old 12-13-2021, 09:54 PM
Drifting

And yep, the four amigos before installing. It's always that same low voltage code when it goes out. Usually coupled with the 'rough road signal implausible' code too. But not always.

ok awesome thanks! Yes I have both of those codes as of right now. I have replaced the wheel speed sensor twice and still getting all the codes. My next step is probably replace the Hub. I wanna make sure it’s not electrical though coming from the slabs so I’ll have to do an OHM test and rule that first.

Old 12-13-2021, 10:07 PM
Drifting

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LAND-ROVER-...-127632-2357-0

this looks like the same part for about half the price?

Quick Reply: Wheel speed sensor low-voltage ABS code