Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When do you have too many electronics? LR4 has no dip-stick

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 07:26 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default When do you have too many electronics? LR4 has no dip-stick

I was at the Land Rover dealer today getting a side indicator lens-- I talked them down to AB prices saving $15.
While I was there I thought I would look at the LR4 just for fun. New motor, new suspension--looks pretty sweet.
The salesperson was all excited to show me the new widgets and what not and I was less and less excited about what I was seeing. So we popped the hood and the salesperson was so excited to tell me about the new LR4--it doesn't come with a dipstick. It has a viscosity meter that reads in the dash. The salesperson made this sound like a good option. I ran away and jumped back into my disco asking REALLY?
I know Spike and some of you D1 guys dog on our D2s for being overly electrified--but seriously who would trust an electrical sensor to monitor the life-blood of your motor? With no dipstick you would be completely reliant on the electical sensor. How do you check the fill level with the oil change? How do you KNOW what your level is like when you fill up? I won't be lusting after one of these anymore. That was my breaking point. They have gone too far.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:34 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Let me find my post on the LR4 launch.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:37 PM
Team Owner

https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ghlight=launch

15,000 mile oil changes, no drain plug, no dip stick, they suck it out through a "service port"
It is a nice truck but man does it have WAY to many gadgets.
I cant wait to drive one though.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:06 PM
Rock Crawling

Huh, I totally missed that post. Yeah I would have like to have been at the launch at least for the Subway but also to Nerd it up with the other Rover peoples. If you know of any events like that in the future you have to let me know.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:26 PM
Team Owner

You can get on the mailing list, thats how I find out about this stuff.
The best new car launch I have ever been to was the when the New Range Rover came out back in '04?
I and a friend drove to Chicago, we got to drive a RR Sport off road. It was sweet driving a brand new less than 1,000 miles on the odometer $80k truck though the mud and over rocks and then taking it onto the road and punching it with that super charger it hauled a$$!!!

When the Freelander launched I went to that one too and got a free pair of Teva's, that was back in '99 if I remember right.
The best hiking shoe I have ever owned I didnt even pay for.

I have been hanging out at Sharpe Land Rover long before it was part of the Sharpe Motor Group.
Drove my first LR in '95, a brand new DI, almost bought it, all I had to do was sign the papers and she was mine.
I still kick myself for not doing it.

Old 01-09-2010, 05:52 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Spike555

15,000 mile oil changes, no drain plug, no dip stick, they suck it out through a "service port"
The new 5.0 liter engine has a drain plug. Don't believe what a sales person tells you. Also, the oil level sensor does not measure viscosity. It measures the oil level and nothing else.

Old 01-09-2010, 05:54 PM
5th Gear
Cool

Originally Posted by Spike555

The same applies to the Range Rover and the Range Rover Sport

Last edited by moormerland; 01-09-2010 at 06:00 PM. Reason: edit
Old 01-09-2010, 06:25 PM
Rock Crawling

The LR4 was probably never intended to be a true offroader. Instead, they're aiming at the luxury SUV market. The adventure bit is just a marketing angle playing up LR's heritage.

The rest of the world has the current Defender if they want a barebones offroad Land Rover.

On these shores, we have our aging Discos and overpriced pre-ban (for lack of a better word) Defenders to tide us over until either LR accomodates us or, heaven forbid, we buy Toyotas.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:33 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by meltdowndave
The LR4 was probably never intended to be a true offroader. Instead, they're aiming at the luxury SUV market. The adventure bit is just a marketing angle playing up LR's heritage.

The rest of the world has the current Defender if they want a barebones offroad Land Rover.

On these shores, we have our aging Discos and overpriced pre-ban (for lack of a better word) Defenders to tide us over until either LR accomodates us or, heaven forbid, we buy Toyotas.
The New Defender is going to be based on the LR4 platform.
And if that does not work they are going to stop selling it except maybe for military use.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:35 PM
Rock Crawling

The no dipstick thing is not a big deal.From what Ive seen most people who buy a $80,000 new LR couldnt find the dipstick with a map anyway.Even if I had the money I wouldnt buy a new rover.I would just mod out my 01 to the max.

Quick Reply: When do you have too many electronics? LR4 has no dip-stick