Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to Start?? Best rotors for 04 Disco SE and more

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 05:41 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Where to Start?? Best rotors for 04 Disco SE and more

Just got my disco back from the shop and they gave me a list of things I need to fix on the truck:

1) Wheels - need to be replaced before next winter season, causes truck to shake around 50-60 mph (needs an alignment also)
2) Rotors - warped and causes truck to sway back and forth when braking
3) XYZ switch - needs to be replaced

There are other minor things like new windshield wipers and an oil change. When they got the truck serviced whoever did the oil change put an extra quart.......really stupid.

My main question is best choice for each and where to get the best price. Thanks for the help

Old 02-24-2009, 05:45 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

1- wheels or tires? What size are you running?

2 atlantic british has good complete kits with all of the seals and extra bits you will need.

3 tranny shop of your choice.

Might want to find an independant Rover shop in your area if you aren't doing the work yourself.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:29 PM
Mudding

1)These are the tires I'm looking at http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compar...G&startIndex=0

2)What rotors are best though? I'm just driving to school and work with maybe a little off-roading during the weekends.

3)I found the XYZ switch. Can I install it myself? I've read of people who have.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:54 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by bangkuaidiscovery04
1)These are the tires I'm looking at http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compar...G&startIndex=0

2)What rotors are best though? I'm just driving to school and work with maybe a little off-roading during the weekends.

3)I found the XYZ switch. Can I install it myself? I've read of people who have.
Link doesn't work. What tire is it. I hear DBA rotors are good.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:59 AM
Camel Trophy

2- I have heard that the DBA rotors are the best also when coupled with kevlar pads.

3- depends on your ability. I haven't done one, but this link might help...

https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=19337

Old 02-25-2009, 09:19 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

The best brakes are DBA rotors along with EBC pads, probably over kill for your type of driving, but the best.
Who determined you need a XYZ and why?
Your wheels are not causing your truck to shake, so I would re think that issue, what size wheel are you currently running?
What about needed services, how many miles on the truck?

Old 02-25-2009, 12:19 PM
Mudding

I am about to commit Land Rover blasphemy here, but I am convinced that those who knock these rotors and pads NEVER installed them on their truck. but don't take my word for it, do what you are doing and keep doing your own research, asking ?'s, etc. After speaking with someone on this board who had installed R1 Concepts slotted and drilled rotors and their pads and had trouble free operation for over 50K miles; and speaking to others on other forums (BMW, Toyota, Audi) who use these pads; I decided to install them after having had them sit in my garage for a year. I now have had them on my truck for over 10K. They work great and leave virtually NO dust on my rims. They were a huge improvement over the stock rotors and pads that were on my Disco before (granted, they were due to be changed). I found them on Ebay, a set of 4 slotted and drilled rotors + pads for around $265 or $275. If you are on a budget, which if you are a student then you probably are, I would consider these and save a bunch. If there are any members on this forum who AUCTUALLY INSTALLED these rotors and have had a bad experience, then I concede to them. but from my own personal experience, I think they work great!

Old 02-25-2009, 12:31 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

You get what you pay for in this world, and nearly all the brakes kits on e-bay are known to be junk.
DBA's and Kevlar pads have run in the $600 range for years, they will out stop other brakes, last longer and do what they say they will.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:05 PM
Camel Trophy

I agree with Mike on this one. ATB has full kits for around $300 , but they aren't as good. Not saying R1's aren't any good, the OP just asked for the best.

R1's have not been tested by enough people to be even considered. Thanks for the input, though. Nice to know you are having luck with them. I thought about it, but went with brembo rotors and EBC pads. That way I know I am putting the decent stuff on and it will be a while before i have to break down the rear axle...

Old 02-25-2009, 04:29 PM
Rock Crawling

Just because I've never heard of this does not mean it aint so

"2) Rotors - warped and causes truck to sway back and forth when braking"

Maybe Mike or somebody with the experiance can shed some light on this. I have owned and heard of vehicles that will pulsate (so to speak) but have never heard of one "made to sway back and forth" because of warped rotors. Maybe because only one side is working??? Just curious

Robert

Quick Reply: Where to Start?? Best rotors for 04 Disco SE and more