Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why oh why???

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 03:47 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why oh why???

I am a ``leak freak``... I am seeing orange coolant drips coming out of the little square hole at the base of the housing that bolts to the engine. I think the torque converter lives in this bell housing?? (Usually where the clutch lives on a stick model).Why is coolant coming out the transmission???????[:@][:@][:@]

Old 12-18-2008, 03:57 PM
Mudding
Default RE: why oh why???

do you park on a grade? like nose of truck is higher than rear?

Old 12-18-2008, 04:02 PM
7th Gear

yes...a little grade...the driveway

Old 12-18-2008, 04:09 PM
Mudding

more than likely a leak on the engine that finds its way to the lowest point. swipe your hand under the throttle body and see if its wet. mine leaked on the drivers side valve cover and found it way to the same point when i parked with the front end higher than the rear.

Old 12-18-2008, 04:14 PM
7th Gear

all is dry and good all around inside the whole engine bay, even underneath all is dry except at that little hole on the housing...uts coming out there....[:@]

Old 12-18-2008, 04:28 PM
Mudding

i hate to jump to conclusions but if there is a leak in the trans cooler and the truck is shut off, the pressure still builds in the coolant system and can find its way into the trans through the cooler, check to see if the expansion tank holds pressure after the truck had been hot and sitswhen turned off. i have aslo heard of the casting hole leaking, core plug on the back of the block, not common but i suppose it could happen. But first and foremost i would make sure nothing is leaking in the engine bay, heater core hoses, any coolant lines anything that has orange fluid.

Old 12-18-2008, 04:31 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Lets don't worry about the angle at which you park, it won't be causing the leak. Certainly check to make sure the t/body heater is not leaking but odds are it will be the valley pan gasket or the headgaskets. Either way, geep filling your coolant bottle to the very top every morning when the engine is cold, drive the truck little as possible and get it into the shop.
Let us know what they find wrong and the estimate for the repairs, some shops charge way to much for repairs.