Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wierd start ritual..Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 04:42 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Wierd start ritual..Ideas?

The fuel pumps are a dream to replace. There is an access hatch in the trunk. Just pull back the carpet, remove the cover and bang, there it is...

Old 12-14-2007, 12:07 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yet another nice surprise!! Thanks

Old 12-14-2007, 12:12 AM
Rock Crawling

ORIGINAL: crownaviation

Disco Mike may be on to something. Last summer the truck died a couple times. The condition would only occur with 1/4 tank or less and hot OAT. Allowed to cool and back down the road. Thought it was a coilpack, spyder....nope just replaced the filter (first time) and seemed fine.
I just replaced a fuel pump in my Suburban w/75k and am trying to convince myself that is not it! That was not fun with about 40 gal gas in tank.

If I hold out for the 3.5 hr (80MPH) journey to the dealer I might have the Recall for the tank performed. I wonder if they will give me a break on labor for the pump replacement? Or am I dreamin again!
Yeah I just got a letter in the mail for that too! I'm kind of scared to take it there as they use those recall services to try and sell you a bunch of other things thatneed to be done. Plus I haven't had time to take it yet. But I need to do it, I do get fuel spillage when I top it off.

They should give you a break, they SHOULD NOT charge any extra labor. The only charge should be for the pump. They're job will be easier as they won't have to carefully take out your old fuel pump to use again. All they have to do is slap the new one in.

Old 12-14-2007, 12:18 AM
Rock Crawling

ORIGINAL: okdiscoguy

The fuel pumps are a dream to replace. There is an access hatch in the trunk. Just pull back the carpet, remove the cover and bang, there it is...
Cool, they did something smart! Honda & Toyota do this too on their cars. Lift up the back seat & there is an access plate. Ford should look into doing this as many times as I've had to replace a fuel pump or gauge senderon those. I've had to do it a total of three times in my motoring history, ALL three times were Fords. One the tank was rusted in to the body so I made an access hole LOL! Therewould have been a fourth Fordbut I sold it before I got doing it.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:20 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: crownaviation

Disco Mike may be on to something. Last summer the truck died a couple times. The condition would only occur with 1/4 tank or less and hot OAT. Allowed to cool and back down the road. Thought it was a coilpack, spyder....nope just replaced the filter (first time) and seemed fine.
I just replaced a fuel pump in my Suburban w/75k and am trying to convince myself that is not it! That was not fun with about 40 gal gas in tank.

If I hold out for the 3.5 hr (80MPH) journey to the dealer I might have the Recall for the tank performed. I wonder if they will give me a break on labor for the pump replacement? Or am I dreamin again!
The fuel pump is under a cover in the back under the carpet
no need to drop the gas tank.
When you have the gas tank replaced if you have a large vent line (5/8' x 2') have it replaced also.
It is on top and you have to drop the tank to replace it.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:51 PM
Mudding

Cool, thanks for the tip. I will be looking for the vent..
Love this site!

Old 12-15-2007, 08:25 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Did you figure out the problem? Check the crank sensor. They just had this problem on CarTalk with Chevy and it was the crank sensor.

Old 01-11-2008, 11:13 PM
Mudding

Hey Spike, the thing finally died ironically on Christmass. Had all the kids dressed up and loaded in the Suburban on the way to church, would not turn over (ended up being a ground I bumped putting the back seat back in)... So loaded up the explorer and rover to accomodate seating and ....rover wont start either!! This was like something out of one of those holiday comedies except my wife was far from laughing.

I decided to try the crank sensor first, as it was cheap and easy to access. (should have done a little more investigating but had a bad code once a couple months prior and just assumed). I do hear some reventing back in the tank like fuel is squirting back in the tank under pressure. Sounds like I will try a pump next. Have good spark, and occasionally hits a couple cylinders but wont really start.

Old 01-12-2008, 01:19 AM
Mudding

Most fuel pumps have check valves. When fuel is pumped into the lines, this check valve keeps the fuel from bleeding backward out of the fuel lines and back into the fuel tank. Without this feature, the fuel system wouldn't be able to hold sufficient fuel pressure. This would make engine startup difficult especially after the vehicle has been sitting for a reasonable amount of time.

Either that or maybe a fuel pressure regulator may be your problem.

Old 01-12-2008, 08:43 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I would agree that it is fuel related. Not likely the pump if it is running and you had good pressure before.

Quick Reply: Wierd start ritual..Ideas?