Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

will a Chevy block fit a Disco/ transmission

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 11:14 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default will a Chevy block fit a Disco/ transmission

I am looking into a used 03 Disco with a blown motor, oil pump failure,
after doing some research on buying a used motor best i have found is about 2700.00 plus shipping about 300.00 the though occurred to me that if Rover used a Buick block , then wouldnt this then also be able to fit a Chevy block.
With all of the BS about replacing headgaskets at 70K and overheating problems due to cracked cylinders and all of the other assorted failure points.
Why cant this be a workable solution , I would appreciate your informed thoughts.
I know a cast iron block weighs more but since this is a truck it doesnt much matter if the reliability factor goes up.
Think about all of the failed RR vehicles that will never run again due to one of these failures or another, from the cast aluminum block and heads.
And poor customer that gets a bill for 10K for a new engine as the engine has 75K miles and has just chewed through a oil pump and taken out the block. This really is BS if you ask me, all i can say is .... WTF Rover

Note this isnt meant to start a flame war, I am looking at other possibilities. And seeking your thoughts, thanks......

Old 12-17-2009, 11:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are adapter kits available that would allow you to drop in a GM 4.3L V6 into a Discovery. This is a very reasonable route to take, because the 4.3 is of similar weight, and makes similar power to the Rover 4.0. These are extremely durable engines. The GM 350 is not a very good swap, because they are way too heavy, and make more power than our drivetrains were designed to handle.

You can have a GM 4.3L and the adapter kit for FAR less than $2700 bucks.

Last edited by tornado_735; 12-17-2009 at 11:24 PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:47 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would think a bigger issue would be hooking up all of the electronics to the engine so the computers work correctly. Do you have he experience to know if you can address all of the sensors and electronics? I don't, but I have seen other guys drop motors of one brand into the chassis of another and spent an enormous amount of time getting the electronics hooked up and functioning correctly.

Old 12-18-2009, 09:29 AM
Rock Crawling

yes the ECU/BCU/SLABS may have to be able to talk to one another that could be a hurdle.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:30 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Bingo, the Hurdle has come up.
In nearly all states, you are required to use the same year or newer engine, ECU set up to meet EPA standards, if you can't find a complete engine/Tranny/Ecu that has all the required emission parts, you are out of luck.

Old 12-18-2009, 04:58 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Bingo, the Hurdle has come up.
In nearly all states, you are required to use the same year or newer engine, ECU set up to meet EPA standards, if you can't find a complete engine/Tranny/Ecu that has all the required emission parts, you are out of luck.
Here in Colorado you can get away with this. I have a 1993 350tbi engine in my 72 Land Cruiser, it passed envirotest with flying colors. In fact way under what a 72' should read. Little video fun.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TimePilo.../8/UjPkLnULtCM

Old 12-18-2009, 05:16 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott R
Here in Colorado you can get away with this. I have a 1993 350tbi engine in my 72 Land Cruiser, it passed envirotest with flying colors. In fact way under what a 72' should read. Little video fun.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TimePilo.../8/UjPkLnULtCM
I love my rover but I do miss my 82 fj 40.Even though it didnt have a 350 it would still go ANYWHERE!

Old 12-18-2009, 06:13 PM
Rock Crawling

I had a real nice 76FJ 40 sold it bought a 04 Disco and had to sell that to buy my house. Now i have a OK FJ 60 wagon but it just doesnt have the steam to go up the mountains, a V8 would be nice , but i would rather have another Disco as i liked the interior and seating position, The FJ 60 does go great in the snow with a thin set of Bridgstone Revos.
All of the Rovers with the bogus engine problems are really a disappointment.
Yeah are we as owners /mechanics able to fix them? in a word yes, but why should we have to, seriously telling an owner your trucks going to need head gaskets at 80K miles because they all do isnt a great thing.......anyone else feel this way.
How hard would it be to just install a iron block with aluminum heads and use the rest of the Rover parts to make it function??
Any one have any ideas?

Old 12-18-2009, 07:31 PM
Mudding

Marks has them, $895 however. Then you have $600 for the engine and ECU, figure another $400 in exhaust parts. Then of course you need to be a pretty solid welded to install the motor mounts. Was easy on my 40' but I think the LR would be a challenge.

http://www.marks4wd.com/products/eng...6-V8.html#GMV8

Old 12-18-2009, 09:14 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Search the threads on the LRF (land rover forum) there was a guy who put a 350 in a disco not sure what the end result was. just fyi

Quick Reply: will a Chevy block fit a Disco/ transmission