Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

will straight ant-freeze hurt anything?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 07:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default will straight ant-freeze hurt anything?

I wasnt paying attention and refilled my radiator system with straight antifreeze, I thought I had bought the 50/50 mix. Im going to drain some of it out tomorrow and add distilled water and my question is, can I run the engine for a few minutes to verify that my new oil pump is working? Or should I not start it up untill I add the distilled water?

Old 01-01-2012, 07:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

I would go ahead and bleed some of it out. You could use a garden hose or an air compressor. With Rovers, when in doubt, don't do it.

Old 01-01-2012, 07:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle

You think even if I dont start it the concentration is to high for it to sit overnight?
thanks

Old 01-01-2012, 07:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

I think you would be perfectly fine letting it sit overnight, the Disco is not that big of a baby. But I wouldn't start the engine until you know you've got a sufficient ratio of water in there.

Old 01-01-2012, 07:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks, I think I will just drain the half back out that I need for the right concentration and let it sit untill morning. Im running dex-cool should that make a difference?

Old 01-01-2012, 08:25 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hahahaha,

Sorry.....I am laughing because I did the same thing. I bought 4 gallons of what I thought was concentrated and dumped it all in. Next day I was cleaning up and after picking up one of the jugs I read what said on it. ****!!!!
Drained half of it and added distilled water. After that I tested the coolant just to make sure I got the mixture right. You can get the "acidity" (or however is pronounced) strips at any auto parts store.
Also I am running Dex-cool as well. Didn't do any damage. This was over a year ago.

No worries, good thing you cought it!

Old 01-01-2012, 08:25 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Here is the problem, it will be fine as long as the temp does not get below ~35*F or so, if it does it will freeze.
Straight engine coolant freezes before water and boils before water.
Mixing the 2 creates the perfect chemistry to prevent freezing and boiling.
FYI-a guy on the forum a year or two ago overheated and destroyed his engine, he filled his cooling system with straight antifreeze, drove it the next day, it had turned to slush overnight, he drove it, it overheated and because it could not be pumped through the radiator he seized the engine, the temp gauge never got hot until it was to late because it was in the frozen mixture.
Take the loss, drain it all out tonight, let it sit overnight empty, it will be fine.
Then tomorrow fill it with 50/50 premixed.
If you try and drain half of it out you will get the mixture wrong and will have to drain it out anyway.
The only problem from putting 100% coolant in is it freezing, no other issues will arise.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:30 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by boris_gti
Hahahaha,

Sorry.....I am laughing because I did the same thing. I bought 4 gallons of what I thought was concentrated and dumped it all in. Next day I was cleaning up and after picking up one of the jugs I read what said on it. ****!!!!
Drained half of it and added distilled water. After that I tested the coolant just to make sure I got the mixture right. You can get the "acidity" (or however is pronounced) strips at any auto parts store.
Also I am running Dex-cool as well. Didn't do any damage. This was over a year ago.

No worries, good thing you cought it!
The Ph balance test is NOT for testing freezing/boiling level of the coolant, it is for checking the acidity of the coolant, which is a must do test once a year for Dex-Cool.
You need to use one of these to test the freeze/boil point.

Prestone Coolant Tester - Walmart.com

Old 01-01-2012, 08:43 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please note that pure antifreeze is flammable also. I put pure antifreeze in a car after replacing the engine, and a coolant hose had a leak and was spraying on the exhaust manifold. Needless to say, I've never seen a manifold on fire until that day. Be safe and drain half of it out.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:50 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 'BamaBoy
Please note that pure antifreeze is flammable also. I put pure antifreeze in a car after replacing the engine, and a coolant hose had a leak and was spraying on the exhaust manifold. Needless to say, I've never seen a manifold on fire until that day. Be safe and drain half of it out.
Good point, after all it is Ethylene glycol, the primary active ingredient in antifreeze, is produced from natural gas.

Quick Reply: will straight ant-freeze hurt anything?