Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

winch help/opinion's

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 10:12 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I didn't know you had a Maasdam. I'd have suggested just using that for now and create a winch fund until you can get a good winch. I've read a few good reviews of the HF one, and a lot of bad reviews.
A winch should be considered a safety item, not just a recovery tool, and I'm not at all a fan of cheaping out on them.
But if you do go forward with it, always keep your Maasdam with you. You're likely going to need it sooner than later.
FWIW, those 20% off coupons don't typically apply to sale items. Read the fine print.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:19 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

I go along with Tom's first reply, keep an eye open for a good quality used winch and clean it up along with a new 3/8th synthetic winch rope, you'll have a winch that will last forever.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:11 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Mike I have been looking for months for one used to no avail.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:45 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Used my superwinch plenty today to move a large tree out of a trail and then to get out of a mud pit over a log. Worked plenty well!

Old 01-27-2013, 03:59 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what i have found out , the harbor freight winches are not sealed so you gotta waterproof it before you put it on the truck just because you cant get to it between the frame rails ...Buddy of mine had one and it worked great before it got wet , then when he needed it it would not work ...He tore it apart and cleaned everything , sealed it up and it works great...

I am going with a smittybuilt winch once i get my bumpers and figure out what will fit in the tray. I am going with the biggest that will fit in the space and going with there Smittybilt Part 98210 - XRC10 Comp Series 10,000 lb. Winch -RH1

Old 01-27-2013, 04:14 PM
Baja
Received 227 Likes on 197 Posts

i have the older 10k or 12k harbor freight winch removable mounted on my trailer and have hauled a 1946 ****** cj2a with plow and lock up brakes from a guys yard onto my trailer, my broke down backhoe onto the trailer and ww2 6x6 with locked up trans up a steep concrete driveway and onto the trailer, it is slow but does the job, the newer ones have a better looking free spool lever, I also have mine setup to mount to the front or rear hitches on my dually

it has sat outside uncovered in all weather on the trailer for 7 +years with no problems I have never submerged it though

if I needed another winch, for the money I would buy another hf one mine has never not worked just the old style spool release isn't the best

Last edited by TOM R; 01-27-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:19 PM
Winching

so I bought the HF 12000 lb winch today, Tom they did give me the 20% off so I paid 319.99 for it out the door. I will water proof it but for 3 bills you cant beat the price. I will update on the performance of it. I read a lot of good reviews. Tom I will take the Maasdam with me, thanks everyone for all the amazing help and advice.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:26 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

If you check the specs on these winches, you'll see that the HF ones are lower hp motors that make up for the power by using lower gearing which makes for a slow winch. Most cheap winches uses the same motor for all sizes and just change gear ratios. Check the ratios and line speeds. A lower power winch with a ****** block and used with the cable down to one layer on the drum will pull drum twice it's rating. I have a Smittybilt XRC8 which I have had good luck with and heard good things about. It is made in China like all cheap winches, Superwinch and low end Warn included, but seems to have some of the better specs. I looked for a used Warn but found nothing.If I was using this truck as a serious wheeling rig I would have gone with a much better winch but this one works great for me. I imagine it will need to be taken apart and cleaned up every few years but for $279 delivered I'm ok with that.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:27 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by aarongregor
Tom they did give me the 20% off so I paid 319.99 for it out the door.
Cool. The clerks here are hard asses about it, though when they first opened they weren't. Guess it all depends on who you get.

If you post how long the cables are from the solenoids to your battery, and what the current draw of the winch is, I'll let you know what size cables you need. I bet you dollars to doughnuts they aren't large enough for optimal performance and motor life. Few stock cables seem to be.

Last edited by antichrist; 01-27-2013 at 08:30 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:49 PM
Winching

o4duxlr, the winch I bought is 6 hp. Tom you can order online and get free shiping and use the code, it is 59026497 for 20% of a single item. Tax free I believe except CA. Okay Tom I will post the info when I install it. I was thinking of going with Synthetic Rope any thoughts?

Quick Reply: winch help/opinion's