Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window issue, failed inspection

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 10:24 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

are you sure your truck failed because of the window? I find that hard to believe.
And exactly what station was it that failed the truck for a window not working?

Ma. does not even recognize hand signal anymore, which is the only possible reason BS reason I could think. and that would only be if your directional did not work to begin with. window tint is the only question on the safety inspection not operation

Attached Thumbnails Window issue, failed inspection-img_20150814_112801750.jpg  

Last edited by drowssap; 08-14-2015 at 10:36 AM.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:47 AM
Baja

it should be hard to get it straightened out, i remember a guy that would not give me a sticker because he said could not see the front plate because of the plow frame.
I called the registry and talk to one of the inspector, he told me to go back. When i got there the guy very pissed off put the sticker on.

Old 08-14-2015, 01:17 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 246 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
it should be hard to get it straightened out, i remember a guy that would not give me a sticker because he said could not see the front plate because of the plow frame.
I called the registry and talk to one of the inspector, he told me to go back. When i got there the guy very pissed off put the sticker on.
Hahah that's a great story!

Mine failed one time. There was a drop of brake fluid on the ABS controller. I got this little lecture about how dangerous it is and that it could cost 2000 dollars to fix and blah blah. I've NEVER failed an inspection in my 48 years. I backed out of the bay. Tightened the nut. Wiped it off. Pulled right back in. He slapped the sticker on it.

Later that same day a pickup was tailgating me on the highway. CLOSE. I got out of the way and he blew out the rest of his engine passing me. His hood was bobbing up and down with baling wire holding it his windshield was cracked. And one headlight and one taillight were literally bolted and taped over their unfortunate predecessors and clearly from some other vehicle. And yep, you guessed it, he had a brand new inspection sticker (first day of the month).

Old 08-14-2015, 03:18 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I failed for 3 things but 2 I can fix easy. I have a brake light out in the rear and he said my tires were bald. He then said he could fix for me but I said no thanks. Figure I can get tires cheaper at a big store and I can do the bulb. Door was the tricky one.

It was a Shell station in my town, I've gone there before and passed fine. Just not my year!

Old 08-14-2015, 04:44 PM
Baja

It failed for the tires and brake light not the window. As you can see by the report i posted window tint is the only inspection requirement

Old 08-14-2015, 05:04 PM
Mudding

Well he said the window For certain. Hmm. I have the report in my truck, will check later. Not disagreeing with you, just repeating what he told me.

Edit: just checked, there are 3 fails. For the window he failed me on a category called "other", so it doesn't say window, but that is what he told me failed. Glad I checked, thanks for the heads up

Last edited by weepit; 08-14-2015 at 05:08 PM.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:25 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 246 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by weepit
Well he said the window For certain. Hmm. I have the report in my truck, will check later. Not disagreeing with you, just repeating what he told me.

Edit: just checked, there are 3 fails. For the window he failed me on a category called "other", so it doesn't say window, but that is what he told me failed. Glad I checked, thanks for the heads up
Well whatever the failures the windows has to be fixed. I found the washers I mentioned and put them on this morning... uncertain success.

Name:  IMG_20150816_093016.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  179.5 KB

Short video:

Uploading... I'll add it in a few.

Okay I'm an idiot and a I have a BLACKBERRY so there is no video.

EDIT: blackberry redeemed. Here's the

The upshot is that the rollers are non replaceable. The partial solution is the get the washers pictured above, heat them, them press two washers over the stud. The reason this is a partial fix is that the original roller is about as thick as the two washers (1/8 inch) but has a collar on the back that is part of the roller. The collar keeps the stud tight and spaces the arm away from the track. Without the collar, the washers do roll in the track but the stud is able to move around and the arm will not space away from the track.

When I completed this repair it immediately stuck. I while "videoing" I didn't stick and for the next twenty times it didn't stick.

IMHO the only way the washers would work is to place something else behind them to mimic the collar.

Anyway, it seems to work. I'm not happy. A member was selling a fix some time ago but I can't find it. I have four doors from a parts truck and, of course, the rollers are all fine except that on the driver's side.

If anyone knows where the member fix (part) is I'd sure appreciate a link.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 08-16-2015 at 12:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
weepit (08-16-2015)
Old 08-16-2015, 11:55 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Some, not all, of those Mass regs are a bit onerous acamato .......................... problem is I have found here if you challenge the CT people they'll nail you on something else ................. here they can be quite spiteful.

Old 08-16-2015, 05:33 PM
Mudding

Thanks Charlie, awesome help. Maybe I could get one at a junkyard or from one of parts guys? Might have to buy the whole door...

I'll try searching here too but I've never had great success with search function here, it finds too much.

Old 08-16-2015, 05:45 PM
Mudding

Quick Reply: Window issue, failed inspection