Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window seals - Ever seen this?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2021, 02:09 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 141 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Window seals - Ever seen this?

Washing the D2 this morning I noticed the rubber seals in the rear and alpine windows were literally washing out. I know they are dry and cracked but this is a first. So are my options -

A. Replace the seals. Don't want to do this as it does not look cheap or easy. Not even sure the seals are available.
B. Reseal with black silicone or other sealer. I like this idea and read where this was done. Does anyone suggest a product for this?
C. Send the truck to the crusher. This is the beginning of the end and there is no fix.

Old 07-31-2021, 02:19 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Mine has done that for years now. They never leak though. Just a pain when washing it.

Last edited by dtmbinb; 07-31-2021 at 07:21 PM.
Old 07-31-2021, 05:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 468 Likes on 279 Posts

Yes, the seals are dissolving slowly.

Old 07-31-2021, 06:37 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 442 Likes on 279 Posts

Yep, normal. I'm pretty sure those seals you see dissolving (same ones on the alpine lights) are cosmetic-ish? I know those and the alpine windows are cemented to the body, which probably acts more like the actual weather seal. Willing to be wrong on this. I'm an idiot after all.

The following users liked this post:
Black Dynamite (08-01-2021)
Old 07-31-2021, 08:22 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dswilly
Washing the D2 this morning I noticed the rubber seals in the rear and alpine windows were literally washing out. I know they are dry and cracked but this is a first. So are my options -

A. Replace the seals. Don't want to do this as it does not look cheap or easy. Not even sure the seals are available.
B. Reseal with black silicone or other sealer. I like this idea and read where this was done. Does anyone suggest a product for this?
C. Send the truck to the crusher. This is the beginning of the end and there is no fix.

Cost would be fairly cheap, just takes time. A few years ago I added a window to my sprinter sliding door, they’re similar to the disco in that they have that full glass look. I asked the local van upfitter how much to do it, mine involved cutting the hole first then essentially gluing the window in. He asked me what I did for a living (carpenter by trade) then told me just do it myself. He sold me a few tubes of a CRL urethane sealant. The most time consuming part on the disco would seem to be getting the window out and cleaning everything before re sealing it.

Last edited by sodaparis; 07-31-2021 at 08:24 PM.
Old 07-31-2021, 11:03 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,252 Likes on 672 Posts

On a D2, both the alpine and rear quarter windows are urethane’d in. They will not leak if that rubber seal is messed up…That decaying rubber seal is cosmetic. You can scrape it out and remove it or buy a new window which comes w the seal and replace it like a windshield.

In other words don’t worry about it beyond cleaning it up cosmetically

Old 08-01-2021, 12:02 AM
Mudding
Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Take a sharp utility knife and cut the rubber away. If you want you can put black silicon to fill ti area but it is just cosmetic.
Do the alpine windows as well.

The following users liked this post:
Discorama (08-01-2021)
Old 08-01-2021, 07:42 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 442 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Xanthro
Take a sharp utility knife and cut the rubber away. If you want you can put black silicon to fill ti area but it is just cosmetic.
Do the alpine windows as well.
I wouldn’t do this. Unless the caulking job is perfect, which it won’t be, you risk letting water in behind the silicone with nowhere for it to drain. Quick way to corrode the paint and metal.

Old 08-01-2021, 08:03 AM
Mudding
Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon318
I wouldn’t do this. Unless the caulking job is perfect, which it won’t be, you risk letting water in behind the silicone with nowhere for it to drain. Quick way to corrode the paint and metal.
I'll keep that in mind. So little rain where I've been it's not an issue, but moving someplace where it rains.

Old 08-01-2021, 08:10 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts

Add another with the ugly makeup crying look. I took mine to a couple glass/body shops for a quote to remove and reseal. The one that was willing to talk and do the job said it's the rubber finisher strip that's degrading, not the urethane glue/sealant. It's not leaking through so he would leave it, but if I really wanted to have it done it would be $100 per piece of glass.

Quick Reply: Window seals - Ever seen this?