Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Windshield or Sunroof Leak Logic (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/windshield-sunroof-leak-logic-75554/)

cappedup 09-23-2015 05:58 PM

Glad it worked out. I'm still dry after the fix I did.

This seems to be the place to go for the headliner. 1994-2004 Discovery I & II Headliner Material & Spray Adhesive [6] - $152.50 : Headliner Express

On my list of things to do. I've seems a few instances of the grey looking really good.

Post some before and after pics. Might spur me on to doing it.

OffroadFrance 09-24-2015 06:31 AM

A permanent repair to the sunroof leak woes is easy but very, very tedious, moreso if you have two sunroofs and rear aircon. Bearing in mind if done methodically and properly it'll be good for another 10+ years and no more headliner damage/drooping which is caused by water ingress and heat. Anyways, who needs silly sunroofs when the damned truck has aircon :rolleyes:

A guideline on repair times and costs: If done in a clear garage at home for 2# sunroofs it takes 7-10 hours depending on any problems. The costs for materials, 4# seals, 8 tubes of top quality silicon marine mastic, trim removal tools, pop rivets, replacement of broken clips etc £180 or $280. Well worth doing IMO.

Headliner recovering, 1 day whilst out and costs around £100 or $155. Another job worth doing IMO.

Echoman 09-24-2015 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by cappedup (Post 536670)
Glad it worked out. I'm still dry after the fix I did.

This seems to be the place to go for the headliner. 1994-2004 Discovery I & II Headliner Material & Spray Adhesive [6] - $152.50 : Headliner Express

On my list of things to do. I've seems a few instances of the grey looking really good.

Post some before and after pics. Might spur me on to doing it.

Yes, I'll probably go with that company too. It looks like shipping will cost an additional 20 bucks on top of that though. I also found 70 inch width foam backed headliner material for the wider vehicles. but they are out right now, or at least don't have the three yards required. I should say that it appears that we need a 62" width of fabric at least, more will give you a bit more wiggle room for alignment mistakes. It seems to be really hard to come by anything that is more than 62" wide.

drowssap 09-25-2015 06:26 AM

a lot of people just buy local material, needs to be 64 inches. you want to over lap the material onto the back, especially in the front where defroster will be blowing at it. jmho

OffroadFrance 09-25-2015 12:23 PM

When relining the headliner adhesive and adhesion is super critical and there are many vids online on how to do it properly, well worth watching a few for technique as if you get it wrong it can be a real nightmare or worse, a PITA :eek:

OffroadFrance 09-25-2015 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by drowssap (Post 536848)
a lot of people just buy local material, needs to be 64 inches. you want to over lap the material onto the back, especially in the front where defroster will be blowing at it. jmho

X1 ........... 64" or 1.6 metres ;);) ........... overlapping around the edges onto the back is critical to stop the edges peeling later on.

Leaks dealt with (tick), headliner relined (tick) problems with saggy headliner and leaks finished with for many years ........... a good job done :cool::)