Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield or Sunroof Leak Logic

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 06:21 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield or Sunroof Leak Logic

Hi guys, I had my windshield replaced a few months back without any issue until this last week. I had my Disco parked on the driveway. I opened the rear gate and noticed some water dripping around the inside rear plastic trim. I then drove and noticed that the front seat belt "holes" began to stream water when I would brake and eventually the panel that seats the sunroof buttons began to pour water onto the dash. Timing wise, I thought it had to be a windshield leak, but would water flow all the way back up the headliner's inclination toward the back to the vehicle while it was just sitting on the driveway (flat for the most part)? The water down the inside of the rear of the vehicle is beginning to make me think it's the rear sunroof. Is there a way to check the windshield seal? Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 09-10-2015, 06:36 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do what I did - take waterproof sealant and just run a bead all along the inside gasket of the sunroof. It fixed the headliner leak for me.

Old 09-10-2015, 07:22 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by erick846
Do what I did - take waterproof sealant and just run a bead all along the inside gasket of the sunroof. It fixed the headliner leak for me.
The gasket between the interior side of the body and the sunroof?

Old 09-11-2015, 02:06 AM
Three Wheeling

So I took the headliner down tonight and found that one of the torx screws in the front of the front sunroof was wet as was the area where the plastic drain box meet the metal sunroof frame. The rear sunroof was wet around the same seam where the plastic box meets the metal frame. The box had a little give when I pressed on them and they both seeped a bit of water. So I'm wondering where the water is getting into the sunroof. I'll take the frame off by removing the torx screws(?) and seal off the drain boxes (hoses and nipples are pliable and solidly in place). If that one torx screw was wet, I'm guessing the water is seeping in around the top seal that the glass makes contact with somewhere, perhaps around the part of the seal that is exposed and touches that exterior plastic rectangle surrounding the sunroof.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:29 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks, I need to do this...

Old 09-11-2015, 11:09 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

It's not the glass seal. It's the seal between the sunroof tray and the body. That galls seal is not 100% waterproof. That's why there are drains on the tray. To allow the little water that gets pass the sunroof to drain out.

Old 09-11-2015, 11:28 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Sounds very similar to my sunroof leak. As said, the main seal next to the glass is pretty good but not 100%. So the drip tray drains the rest.

It seems the sealant between the plastic corner bit and the metal doesn't stick. Or the tubes snap.

Not so tricky to remove and reseal with better stuff. I dropped some screws in as well.

my thread. https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/ghost-leak-69754/ I took a ton of photos of my fix.

Last edited by cappedup; 09-11-2015 at 11:48 AM.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:31 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by cappedup
Sounds very similar to my sunroof leak. As said, the main seal next to the glass is pretty good but not 100%. So the drip tray drains the rest.

It seems the sealant between the plastic corner bit and the metal doesn't stick. Or the tubes snap.

Not so tricky to remove and reseal with better stuff. I dropped some screws in as well.

my thread. https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...st-leak-69754/ I took a ton of photos of my fix.
Good idea with those screws. I'm definitely going to do that. I think I'll try to also follow all of the steps in this write up How to Repair Your Sunroof . I'll probably end up using GE 50 year sealant, it seems to be sturdy enough of a sealant based on what I've read.

Time to also fix that saggy headliner I guess.

Old 09-12-2015, 12:24 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Echoman
The gasket between the interior side of the body and the sunroof?
Yes. This 100% fixed my leak

Old 09-23-2015, 03:15 PM
Three Wheeling

Man, these threads make their way down the list quick around here. So, I took the sunroof apart via the instructions linked above, used Loctite S40 sealant to seal the drains to the drip tray of the sunroof (in addition to the self tapping screws mentioned above). I also ran a bead on the sealing surfaces of the sunroof and of the drain tray. I also put some around the nipple that the drain tubes attach. It's been a week of rain and car washes without any moisture getting in anywhere. Thanks for the help. Any sources for headliner material wide enough for an Olympic sized pool? I figure I'll need at least 60" of width.

Quick Reply: Windshield or Sunroof Leak Logic