Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wobbly fan, leaking water pump, advice?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 07:43 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wobbly fan, leaking water pump, advice?

As the title implies, my water pump is leaking and the fan moves back and forth when I pull on it at 12 and 3 (as if it were a clock). I replaced both fan and water pump a little less than a year ago, both are genuine parts. I purchased the fan from Great Basin and the pump from AB.

The pump leak is not severe - I don't see anything come out of the weep hole when the car is idling in my parking lot, and I don't see anything on the ground when leaving it overnight. But there are a lot of droplets on the fan cowl and the various pulleys as well as the oil filter, and when I feel around the weep hole I get some black moistness on my fingers that smells like coolant. However, weird thing is, my temps seem fine. My ultragauge reads 203F then the fan turns on and it goes back down to 194-197.

I plan on replacing the pump, no doubt. My question to you all is... does the fan need to be replaced as well? As far as I can tell, the pump is causing the wobble. Maybe I should mention, when I am idling for a bit and the viscous fan "turns on" I hear a clunk, but perhaps this is normal?

My 2002 disco 2 has 105K miles. I have a 180 tstat, new hoses, green coolant (multiple flushes, probably some dead cats around my neighborhood), changed the radiator a few months before the pump, replaced head gaskets, you name it.

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:59 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

It sounds like the fan/clutch has taken out your shaft seal and bearing. I think the 02 has separate fan and clutch. so you could get the pump and clutch. If you will search on here hayden fan clutch. You will find it is a heavy duty fan clutch.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:06 PM
Three Wheeling

I think I found it... Hayden 2991. Amazon has it for 60$ (!!!!). Just want to make sure it is correct...

Amazon.com: Hayden Automotive 2991 Premium Fan Clutch: Automotive Amazon.com: Hayden Automotive 2991 Premium Fan Clutch: Automotive

Old 02-08-2016, 08:16 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Once you get the new pump installed and coolant refilled run it without fan/clutch installed and make sure your pump pulley is good.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Do you remember if yours was 1 piece fan/clutch or 2-piece? If it was 1-piece, you can get an earlier model fan to go on the clutch, otherwise you have to buy the 1-piece oem setup.
That does look like the clutch, if I recall. Havent changed mine yet, the previous owner had already switched to the 2-piece setup and I plan to get the hayden when the time comes.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:21 PM
Three Wheeling

Land Range Rover Discovery Fan Clutch Viscous Fan

The guy I got is the Borg Warner, from what I remember. I think I will get the standalone fan if I cannot take the one I have apart. I also have my OLD fan and clutch laying around, so if necessary I can take that one apart. I will check when I get back to Pittsburgh tomorrow.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:22 PM
Three Wheeling

Number9.... how would I know if the pump pulley is bad? If it is wobbling without the fan?

Old 02-08-2016, 08:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by MyRoversNameIsCarl
Number9.... how would I know if the pump pulley is bad? If it is wobbling without the fan?
yes, that should not wobble at all.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:38 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Yeah, a wobble without fan would be a good indication. A small wobble is much easier to see without fan installed and not worrying about blades whacking your forehead. Just a possibility and worth taking the time to check before all back together.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:47 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks, guys. I'll report back when I finish the project. It is going to be 15 deg F this weekend gonna be a fun time!

Quick Reply: Wobbly fan, leaking water pump, advice?