Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

won't start, getting discouraged...

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 10:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default won't start, getting discouraged...

Battery died from sitting too long recently, but 2 or 3 days ago I jumped it and got it running again. Went outside to go for a drive just now and it won't start. The battery has plenty of charge but when I turn the key to start it it won't start up. I can hear the starter doing its rapid fire clicking and it almost sounds like the solenoid that prevents you from shifting out of park is shooting back and forth too. Any thoughts on what to do? I'm basically out of money and at my wits end from this truck =/

Old 05-16-2009, 10:12 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, I take it that the engine is not cranking(turning). what makes you so sure your battery is alright? I believe your battery is not good, and If the battery is good then it is your starter, But I still believe it is your battery not having enough power.

Old 05-16-2009, 10:14 PM
Recovery Vehicle

not ruling out the battery, but I've had a charger on it for 4 hours now. The lights inside are all fine and bright and the radio has plenty of juice to play loud which leads me to believe it's not the battery but I guess it could still be.

Old 05-16-2009, 10:24 PM
Drifting

Try and jump it again?

Old 05-17-2009, 06:57 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

4 hours is not long enough to charge a dead battery unless you have a rapid charger and even then you will only have a surface charge (false full charge), a good long slow charge is best (over night)

Old 05-17-2009, 08:31 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

If you want to get it started, take the battery out, get it tested at a local auto parts store, then buy a new one, your's is most likely junk and won't take/hold a charge.

Last edited by Disco Mike; 05-17-2009 at 08:31 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-17-2009, 09:00 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I have a feeling the battery might be dead as Mike said but unfortunately I haven't worked since Christmas and I'm literally out of money so I'm open to trying pretty much anything. My charger is rated for a 2 amp charge a 10 amp charge and I think the last is 50 amps rated probably for almost immediate starts. Would the best charge be to leave it on 2 amps for a good 10-12 hours or so? If it doesn't work after this I'm gonna go buy a lottery ticket =/

Old 05-17-2009, 11:35 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Problem is, if your battery is bad, and lets say there is some way for you to start it, you may damage your alternator, especially if the battery shorts.

Old 05-17-2009, 11:43 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

buy a new battery,,,,

problem solved

Old 05-17-2009, 12:41 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by hazletbassist89
I have a feeling the battery might be dead as Mike said but unfortunately I haven't worked since Christmas and I'm literally out of money so I'm open to trying pretty much anything. My charger is rated for a 2 amp charge a 10 amp charge and I think the last is 50 amps rated probably for almost immediate starts. Would the best charge be to leave it on 2 amps for a good 10-12 hours or so? If it doesn't work after this I'm gonna go buy a lottery ticket =/
There are places that sell used batteries, my sone bought one for his car for $24 with his exchange.
But to get it started you will either need a jump start or to charge it on the 10 amp charge overnight.
Then turn off all accessories when you drive and dont shut it off if you dont have to.
Dont drive at night, no A/C, no stereo, only open one window.
LR alternators are very robust but continually overworking it will shorten its life.
Call around, Batteries Plus, junk yards etc. for a battery.

Quick Reply: won't start, getting discouraged...