Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Won't start, where do I start?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 10:29 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Won't start, where do I start?

Battery is fine, everything turns on like Windows, lights, etc.
drove it this morning just fine.

Tried to start it and nothing. No noise like it is even trying, just silence. This happened a few weeks ago but it has started fine many times since then. I just left it for a bit and it fired right up.

Supposed to leave for Vermont tomorrow, I guess it's better it is dead in the driveway.

What should I check? Starter?

Old 06-24-2016, 04:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

There are a few quick checks you can do with a multi-meter. Make sure you have power on the small gauge wire on the starter when you turn the key to start. If you do, make sure you have power at the starter on the wire coming from the battery. If you do, have someone try cranking it over while your test leads are still connected. If the voltage drops drastically you have a voltage drop on either the pos or neg cable. You can determine which one by putting one lead on the battery post and the other lead on the other end of the wire and try cranking. The reading should be zero. If not the wire is bad. You can also do a ground to ground measurement. That should also be zero.
If you don't get power on the small gauge wire with the key in the crank position, check to see if there is a starter fuse and make sure that is good. If it's good and it's not corroded, you may need to check your ignition switch.
I hope this isn't too confusing.
Good luck!

Old 06-24-2016, 09:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Also, lay under the truck and have someone turn the key while you whack on the starter with a hammer. Don't go ape****, you're just trying to jar the solenoid loose.

If that works, you need a starter.

Old 06-24-2016, 10:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by dr. mordo
Also, lay under the truck and have someone turn the key while you whack on the starter with a hammer. Don't go ape****, you're just trying to jar the solenoid loose.

If that works, you need a starter.
I knew I was forgetting something!

Old 06-24-2016, 10:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 159 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by weepit
Battery is fine, everything turns on like Windows, lights, etc.
drove it this morning just fine.

Tried to start it and nothing. No noise like it is even trying, just silence. This happened a few weeks ago but it has started fine many times since then. I just left it for a bit and it fired right up.

Supposed to leave for Vermont tomorrow, I guess it's better it is dead in the driveway.

What should I check? Starter?
I'll bet $10 it's your ground. I have the exact same thing happen. I disconnected the ground and reinstalled it on the acccesory bracket. I have not had that problem since.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:51 AM
Mudding

Thanks all, I tried the hammer but hard to get a good whack (kinda like high school). I will crack Rave soon and see where that ground is. Really appreciate

Old 07-01-2016, 12:24 PM
Mudding

So I need a new starter. Wife is getting pissed so I called local shop, they want $700 to replace starter? That seems like way too much, but I'm clearly no expert. Starters are like $200 at Atlantic British, they're telling me $380?

Reasonable price or get another estimate?

Old 07-01-2016, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

I bougbt a 99.00 rebuilt from Auto Zone as a backup when I first got back into LR's. I ended up installing it into my 98 D1 as it turned over rather weakly. Now it starts up super smooth n quick. 99.00 it can't be beat if you ask me. The hardest part is doing it and not realizing it has 2 8mm allen head bolts holding it on. Get yourself a 3/8 8mm socket/allen head and with some good extensions it's not that hard. Maybe an hour taking your time.

Old 07-01-2016, 07:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Get another estimate. I bet they are quoting you a price for a starter from the dealer, which is going to be stupid expensive.

I'd look for a independent local shop that will work on any brand. Use yelp or angie's list. Some folks won't work on unusual vehicles, but some will. When I was a mechanic, we'd work on almost anything you drove thru the gate - the only exception was Mazda RX-7 rotary engines. These LR engines are small block GM V8s, so any mechanic who won't work on one is a idiot IMO.

Old 07-01-2016, 09:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by weepit
So I need a new starter. Wife is getting pissed so I called local shop, they want $700 to replace starter? That seems like way too much, but I'm clearly no expert. Starters are like $200 at Atlantic British, they're telling me $380?

Reasonable price or get another estimate?
$700!!! No way. I would get another estimate for sure. Did they tell you how much time it was supposed to take? I can't imagine the job taking more than an hour or so. Unless they charge $300 an hour?

Last edited by disc oh no; 07-01-2016 at 09:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Won't start, where do I start?