Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WOW...I found my headliner leaking problem...check this out!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 04:37 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WOW...I found my headliner leaking problem...check this out!

So, I posted earlier with my problem (https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=30489), but figured this needs a new thread now...

I needed to find where water was coming in and soaking my headliner, so I started pulling down the headliner to figure it out. Was it the sunroof drains, an A Pillar leak, the windshield, other? Well, I found it...the sunroof drain nipple snapped right off at the base. (Seriously, plastic???) Check out the pictures...

So, I spent an hour or two removing the headliner so I could get at it without trashing the headliner and now my real question comes in....

WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO FIX THIS????

And, is there anything else I should be doing while I have the headliner down?

Thanks!!!!

Attached Thumbnails WOW...I found my headliner leaking problem...check this out!-img_4907.jpg   WOW...I found my headliner leaking problem...check this out!-img_4910.jpg   WOW...I found my headliner leaking problem...check this out!-img_4914.jpg  
Old 04-23-2010, 04:47 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

hmmm.. not sure if there is a part for that. might want to look it up in the rave and see if you can order it from land rover. i doubt a parts place like AB would have that. your other choice would be to find someone parting an 03 or 04 and buy it and re seal it yourself. i have never seen that happen before.

why you have the headliner down check the other drains to make sure they are clear and check the rails on the sunroof easier to check and tighten them now. also would be a good time if you are considering any aux lighting to run wiring for that.

good luck

Old 04-23-2010, 05:11 PM
Mudding

Yep...just called LR and those parts aren't available by themselves. They only come as part of the tray...$600...even in the RAVE manual, it makes them look like they are part of the tray assembly.

Old 04-23-2010, 05:24 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

a. spend $600.00
b. go to the hardware store and find a nipple that you can attach or epoxy in place of the old one.

I'd go with b.

Old 04-23-2010, 05:34 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You could try rigging up a home-made fix using hoses and connections from the plumbing section at your nearest home improvement store....

X2 on checking everything while it's open....check and clean all electrical connections for your sunroofs and interior lights. Check rear sunroof drains, grease moving parts, etc...

You could also paint or recover your headliner like a lot of guys here have done....hilltoppersx has a great write up in the "Write-Up" section if yours is stained or sagging.

Old 04-23-2010, 05:42 PM
Mudding

Well, I got the snapped off nipple out of the hose in one piece. It mates nicely where it broke off, so I'm thinking some super glue and then epoxy will do the trick.

I've read some of the write ups on painting the headliner, but I'll tell you one thing...I can't get the darn headliner out of the back of the truck...not without some significant bending...

What a PITA. Glad I found the culprit though.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:06 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

the headliner will take some descent bending but it should be that bad. you should be able to drop the seats, then drop one side of the board and raise the other and pull it out with just a little bend. its fiberglass so unless you are really rough it will be ok.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:14 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jrkstore43
Well, I got the snapped off nipple out of the hose in one piece. It mates nicely where it broke off, so I'm thinking some super glue and then epoxy will do the trick.

I've read some of the write ups on painting the headliner, but I'll tell you one thing...I can't get the darn headliner out of the back of the truck...not without some significant bending...

What a PITA. Glad I found the culprit though.
NICE! Post some pictures when you fix it and show what you fixed it with, I'm sure you're not the only one out there with this issue.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:24 PM
Mudding

All done and put back together!

Basically I just worked the broken-off plastic barb out of the hose and super glued it back in place. Once that hardened, I used some clear epoxy to seal around it and pushed the hose back on.

By the way, I took everyone's advice and did a good once-over on everything before I put it back together.

Hopefully this will be the end of my water issues.

Thanks for all the help!!!

Attached Thumbnails WOW...I found my headliner leaking problem...check this out!-img_4915.jpg   WOW...I found my headliner leaking problem...check this out!-img_4916.jpg  
Old 02-09-2012, 12:33 AM
4wd Low

Jrkstore43, how has your repair held up? I have the exact same issue and was wondering how I was going to tackle it. Hopefully you found my solution.

Quick Reply: WOW...I found my headliner leaking problem...check this out!