Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WOW.......its like a domino effect

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 06:34 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WOW.......its like a domino effect

So, last week my blower motor stops. No problem I come to the forum do my research and it seems that the #7 fuse slot has lost power. So mechanic runs a wire from the 100amp fuse under hood, through fire wall and connects it the yellow or brown wire that feed the fuse panel under the steering wheel, and BAM we are back in business, cold air everything. BUT now he comes to me and tells me that the left blinker is not working. The right side blinkers outside, inside on dash everything works. The left side......NADA! you turn stalk to the left and you get this rapid clicking sound coming from the fuse panel under steering column, you can pin point the noise from the right & left fuses that are indicated for blinkers. We took the right out and stuck in the left no left blinker, took out the left fuse put it in the right, still had right blinkers. So I read on about the BCU or BMC whatever is under the passenger side glove compartment where blower motor is. COuld he have bump something up in there while running that wire to fuse panel. Yes we check all fuse...GOOD, checked all bulbs....GOOD. Im kinda getting the red *** now! My D2 has NEVER given me any problems. It just came off of a 18,000 mile Southwest texas / Mexico adventure over the last 1.5 yrs and all I have done it put on new tires and a thermostat, oil & fuel.

So guys any help to lead me in a direction to help this mechanic out would greatly be appreciated. I knew I should have waited till I got back to HOuston....damn!

Old 10-15-2012, 09:40 PM
Three Wheeling

Guess I should have made the thread simple.

What would cause my left blinker to stop working both inside vehicle and outside, but the right side works fine. The left blinker blinks once on the dash and thats it, when you turn blinker on. Ive checked power, fuses, bulbs, etc....

Old 10-15-2012, 10:00 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could be your indicator stalk. It's possible that the connection is bad on the left indicator connection point.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:24 PM
Three Wheeling

Check the ground? You can download the electrical diagrams and see if there is a common ground to where you're having issues. Even comes with pictures.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:37 PM
Three Wheeling
Default stalk

but would the indicator stalk literally go bad that fast. drop vehicle off it works, they work on blower motor, get phone call that its not working.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:21 AM
Mudding

I have to ask: why did the "mechanic" run a new wire to the fuse panel without figuring out why it lost power in the first place? The fact that your blinker died right after he did this is a big red flag.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:52 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

did you try replacing the flasher unit, i have seen them fail were only one side would blind.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:31 AM
Three Wheeling

Koch, what he told me is there is power at panel and fuse under hood. Some where in the firewall the factory wiring has lost flow of power between hood to fuse panel under dash. So he making power by running this wire. What I don't under stand is if u have power on both end how does the wire that connects both ends don't ba e power. That's where he run a hot wire from 100 amp fuse and splices it into factory wire to give it Power. He said it " Y " off from yellow to brown. It's really pissing me off at this point.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:01 PM
Mudding

The factory wire has either become cut somehow or, more likely, is shorting out and draining somewhere. Probably a nick in the insulation where it's rubbing against some metal part of the car. (Worn out grommet through the firewall perhaps.) Wires don't "wear out" and stop conducting electricity.

Old 12-14-2012, 09:23 AM
4th Gear

Did you find a resolution to your blinker issue? I have the same symptoms, but it happened suddenly. Nother work was done.

Quick Reply: WOW.......its like a domino effect