Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTB Discovery 1998

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 09:29 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default WTB Discovery 1998

Hello everyone

this is going to be a long post, so grab a cup of coffee, or a beer, and make yourself at ease.

I posted a topic earlier but I didn't get as much info as I wanted so I'm trying again, and I got more info about the truck. I'm presently looking at a 1998 Disco with 135 000km on the clock (80 000 miles approx.), but there are some issues with the truck. First, there is a kind of cracking/clanking noise when turning the wheels, but only when driving. The owner thinks it might be the cardans going away and I thinks he's right on that point. How is the front axle built? Cardans or U-joints? I know older Jeeps were built with U-joints, and those are a pretty easy fix. I read on this forum that it might kill the tranny to drive with those broken. Would I be able to drive the 400km (approximately 240 miles) way home?

The second thing is that the truck has been sitting for a couple of months, so, it will need a complete brake job. The owner is complaining about a squaking noise that sounds like sheet metal when slowing down. My guess is that this noise is due to the needed brake job. There is also a power steering leak, but this is a minor issue. And the hood does not open (??!!???). Those are the known issues, and since I'm pretty handy with a wrench I would probably be able to repair it myself, as for the due 60 000 miles maintenance that was probably not performed.

The thing that really makes me consider buying that truck is that I would be able to get it real cheap. Somewhere around 1000$ CDN, and even if I put an extra 1500$ in parts and maintenance, it would still be a cheap Disco, since most of those sell for around 4000$. Especially when I shop around for 2000$ trucks... I would only get a beaten up old Jeep. I know that this truck won't be like my 1998 Altima and that it will need more maintenance and care. My Altima has 275 000km on the clock (180 000 miles) and the only thing I had to put in, outside of regular maintenance, was a suspension linkage ( we have the worst roads in north america... I live in Quebec...) and a piece of exhaust pipe. BTW I would use this truck not only as a daily driver but also for lots off-roading, I'm a part time lumberjack. Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Julien

Old 10-07-2008, 09:47 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WTB Discovery 1998

Well, it seems as though you'll be able to take care of the issues that it has, you seem like you know what you're doing a bit. I'm pretty sure on the D1s there are U joints, not cardans. But that's something I don't know too much about, so someone else will have to chime in on that.

Sounds like you're right as far as the brakes and power steering go. The hood probably has a broken release cable or something. Whatever it is, that is minor and probably very easy to fix. If it is the cable I know roverparts.com has one for less than $20 US. The 60k maintenance probably hasn't been performed, and I would recommend that you do that as soon as you get the truck home, again some one else will chime in with specifics.

Over all, the price looks right to me, and it seems like you've got your head firmly planted between your shoulders. These trucks do require a lot of care, they're far from a gas and go type vehicle. A few things to remember are you MUST use premium gas, and just as long as you keep up on your regular maintenances, and don't let problems sit for a long time this truck will take care of you.

Did I forget anything?

If you have any questions about anything, or you just want to show off some pictures of the last wheeling trip this is the place to do it. Good luck

Old 10-07-2008, 10:04 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Sounds like one or more of your swivels ball's is bad. They are a like CV joint on a front wheel drive car. Turn the steering wheel to full lock, left or right and then look where the front axles mates with the wheels, you will see a big shiny ball, they are inside of there.

As for the hood, has somebody pull the hood release and then pull up on the middle front of the hood. Mine did this same thing, once you get it open lube the latch and cable and safety catch, it will get better. You will have to lube it every time you open it until it opens on its own.

How rusty are the rotors? If they are really rusty they will be noisy until they wear all the rust away.

You MUST use premium gas.
This will be the perfect truck for a lumber jack.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:05 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Yes, your front swivels are probably dry, the u-joints shot.
If you want a project vehicle, I will be glad to walk you thru the necessary repairs.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:09 AM
Winching

Thanks for the fast answer!
You just convinced me to buy the Disco. As soon as I get some picture of off-roading with my Disco I will surely post them on here. My father owns a huge property, mainly forest, awesome for off-roading. My brother and I are spotting the best places to test his truck .

That being said... I hope someone will hit me back about the front axles. Thanks again!

Julien

Old 10-07-2008, 10:13 AM
Winching

But would it be safe to drive it home with the swivel ball dry and the u-joints shot? The drive is 400km. Thanks

Old 10-07-2008, 10:37 AM
Team Owner

www.atlanticbritish.com, not sure if they ship to Canada.
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/9365A.cfmfor the CV rebild kit.
Otherwise you can buy the whole axle with the CV for another $70.
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/FTC3146.cfm
On AB's home page they have TONS of tech tips.
As for driving it with the bad CV's. I would not drive it 250 miles with them being that bad.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:17 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

I would pick up the front end and dolly it you could completely destroy a swivel and then you are spending even more money.
Don't go driving it untill you do a full service to make sure other things have not been neglected.
Here is my list of items to do.
This is the parts list for a 60,000 mile service or a high mileage used truck, the way I do it.
1 Oil filter, K&N 3001 or Mobil 1
1 Air filter
6 Qts of engine oil
12 Qts of ATF
7 Qts of 80/90W synthetic gear oil
1 Qt of synthetic Brake fluid
2 Qts of synthetic Power steering fluid
2 Gallons of OAT, orange coolant
1 Bottle of Lucas Power Steering additive
1 Bottle of Lucas Transmission additive
1 Can of Spray Carb. Spray
1 Can Of Brake cleaner
8 Spark Plugs, I use Bosch Platium Plus 4's
1 Set of Magnacor 8mm plug wires
1 Serpentine belt
2 Bottles of SeaFoam gas additive
1 T/Stat

60,000 Mile Service or Major Service for High Mileage Used Vehicle just purchased

Bleed the brakes
Flush and change the power steering fluid adding one bottle of additive
Service the tranny adding one bottle of additive
Change the coolant and t/stat
Do an engine flush before changing the oil
Do an induction cleaning
Clean the throttle body
Add fuel additive to full gas tank
Change both of the diffs fluid
Change the t/case oil
Replace the plugs and wires
Replace the air filter
Lube all the drive shaft grease fitting including the 2 slip shafts
Do full inspection of brakes, hoses, bushings etc.

Hopefully I didn't leave anything out.
Mike

Old 10-07-2008, 11:23 AM
Team Owner

You can NOT tow a full-time-four-wheel-drive truck on a car dolly, it must be flat beded or towed with all fours on the ground.
If you remove the rear driveshaft then you can tow it on a car dolly.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:56 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even if you flatbed it you're still getting a good price just because of how cheap it was to start.

Oh and just for the record I'm REALLY jealous that you have your own property that has decent trails on it. My yard is so small I don't think I could get my Disco behind the house.

Quick Reply: WTB Discovery 1998