Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XYZ Flashing Lights.. OBDII.. This is weird!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 02:19 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question XYZ Flashing Lights.. OBDII.. This is weird!

O.K. so I have had the XYZ Flashing lights problem for a while, but I don't drive very often or far so I haven't really got into fixing it just yet..

Almost every time I start the truck, (04" Disco 2 with 130,000miles) the lights start flashing when i put it in drive. Sometime I restart it and it works fine... But not too often.

The other day i was driving it and I had my cell phone connected to the wireless real time OBDII scanner and was checking all the systems.. I scanned for the Check Engine light codes, documented them, reset the Check Engine light, and all of the sudden the XYZ switch was working fine!!

So I just did a few more drills and every time I reset the Check Engine codes, the XYZ goes immediately into normal operation! As soon as I hit "Clear Codes" the Green Flashing lights go away and the truck drives great!

So now whats that mean?? Is there a simple fix?? I have a relatively new battery and I just re-adjusted the Shifter Cable.. The unit look clean...

Thanks for your help!

Old 05-07-2015, 03:39 PM
Rock Crawling
Default update..

So I just started it and had to reset OBDII and drove drove it. after just a mile, it switched back to Fail mode.. I reset and it went right back to Normal mode.. Then it switched back to fail quickly..

Old 05-07-2015, 04:23 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

It does very much sound like the xyz switch failure and worth a rebuild.

Rebuild D2 ZF Selector Switch UHB100190 - Australian Land Rover Owners

Old 05-07-2015, 05:15 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 895 Likes on 646 Posts

What green flashing lights? I've had two XYZ switches fail and neither time were there any green flashing lights. The only "lights" that indicated a problem were the red lights on the gearshift surround and the PRND321 LED display next to the odometer in the instrument cluster that went dark. Are you talking about the M and S lights on the dash? I've never known them to be nor read about them being associated with an XYZ switch failure.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:31 PM
Three Wheeling

A faulty crank position sensor can cause intermittent m & s flashing lights and limp mode.

I had such behavior when mine went wonky.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:41 AM
Rock Crawling

It is the M and S lights flashing and the red LED light flashing on the gear shifter next to D.. I did have a faulty Crank Position Sensor, but I just replaced that and the flashing is still occurring.. I have a relatively new battery that is 770 cold cranking amps and 963 cranking amps..

But what confuses me is that it fixes with resetting the Check Engine codes... what could cause that??

Old 05-08-2015, 09:42 AM
Rock Crawling

Should I just take the XYZ switch off and clean it??
Is there a link to show how to remove it?

Old 05-08-2015, 09:48 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

I think there is complete direction on the austi site on who to clean and re-seal it. are you sure your alt. is putting out 13.5 volts or better?

Old 05-08-2015, 01:32 PM
Rock Crawling
Question

Originally Posted by drowssap
I think there is complete direction on the austi site on who to clean and re-seal it. are you sure your alt. is putting out 13.5 volts or better?
I'll have that checked first.. Does the Autozone tester work??
Can I use any circuit tester??

Old 05-09-2015, 05:15 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 895 Likes on 646 Posts

Remember that the OBD II diagnostic port is connected to the transmission computer as well as the engine ECU. It could be that when you are resetting the check engine light and somehow also resetting the transmission fault codes.

You can certainly spend the time to remove the XYZ switch and clean it, but if I were you I would take the truck to an independent shop and spend the hundred dollars to have the transmission codes read. Most of our inexpensive code readers can do only the engine management codes, and not the transmission, ABS and restraint system codes.

Read the transmission diagnostic section and the tables that follow beginning on page 615 of the RAVE PDF. According to the first line item in the table, if it was the XYZ switch causing your problem the transmission would go into limp home mode. If that is not happening likely not in XYZ switch problem.

Working on these trucks is a lot less frustrating if you use all the tools at your disposal to carefully to first diagnose the problem rather than throw parts at the problem. I learned that lesson the hard way.

Last edited by mln01; 05-09-2015 at 07:15 PM.

Quick Reply: XYZ Flashing Lights.. OBDII.. This is weird!