Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Y pipe gasket??

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 11:33 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Y pipe gasket??

So some lame-o really botched the Y pipe replacement job on my DII when the previous owner had it and I need to fix an exhaust leak between the Y pipe and intermediate muffler.
I have seen multiple sites with NOTHING there, the rave manual appears to have a flat gasket between the two and rovers north has a diagram of one with a donut type gasket, but when you go to the actual parts diagrams there is nothing listed!!
On atlantic british they sell a muffler kit with only one gasket for the tail pipe to muffler!

My car is leaking water at this union, so i know its leaking gas. What is supposed to be there?
If the rave shows a flat gasket but mine has a donut gasket, how accurate is the 18 ft/lb torque spec?

Old 10-16-2013, 07:32 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by sidescrollin
So some lame-o really botched the Y pipe replacement job on my DII when the previous owner had it and I need to fix an exhaust leak between the Y pipe and intermediate muffler.
I have seen multiple sites with NOTHING there, the rave manual appears to have a flat gasket between the two and rovers north has a diagram of one with a donut type gasket, but when you go to the actual parts diagrams there is nothing listed!!
On atlantic british they sell a muffler kit with only one gasket for the tail pipe to muffler!

My car is leaking water at this union, so i know its leaking gas. What is supposed to be there?
If the rave shows a flat gasket but mine has a donut gasket, how accurate is the 18 ft/lb torque spec?

I do not believe there is a gasket between the Y-pipe and intermediate muffler. I had a leak there also. What I did to correct the leak issue.

Loosen and remove the flange, get a wire brush and clean both mating surfaces completely. Then, re-assemble, torquing the flange nuts, substantially. Be careful, not to snap or strip the bolts. This should do it for ya.

The following users liked this post:
The Deputy (04-08-2020)
Old 10-16-2013, 06:56 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by coors
I do not believe there is a gasket between the Y-pipe and intermediate muffler. I had a leak there also. What I did to correct the leak issue.

Loosen and remove the flange, get a wire brush and clean both mating surfaces completely. Then, re-assemble, torquing the flange nuts, substantially. Be careful, not to snap or strip the bolts. This should do it for ya.
well RAVE says to torque to 18 ft lbs...so idk if that is gonna fly

Old 10-16-2013, 07:08 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

I also used muffler and tailpipe sealer. I think it's manufactured by Permatex.

Old 04-07-2020, 12:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 458 Likes on 270 Posts

There is no gasket, because it works like a compression fitting. After cleaning the surfaces with fine sandpaper, it revealed bump at the pipe end (what looked like a manufacturing error). Smoothed it out with a file and sandpaper and my leak was gone. I guess the bump caused it never to seal properly.

The following users liked this post:
Sixpack577 (04-07-2020)