Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yes.. another vibration question, sorry

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 11:14 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

For anybody reading.. I found a shop locator for roadforce balancing.

http://www.gsp9700.com/search/findgsp9700.cfm

Old 03-10-2014, 11:40 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an Audi A6 on which the wheels weren't perfect, you could only get decent results with the Roadforce balancer - and even then, only sometimes. The balancer is a tool, and like most tools the results depend on the skill and motivation of the operator.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:53 AM
Winching

It's gonna wait any way. The crap tires the truck came with are federal of some sort. Look like sports car tires. They have decent tread but are noisy as hell. I'm sure they are a contributing factor to my vibration woes. New tires will come later, I have more important things to fix. I'll know more later When I go out to dunkin. I'll just have to go to the one a few miles away.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:31 PM
Winching

Just drove it. Once again I was wrong. Vibration has not changed. Replacing the coupler gives me piece of mind.. but what gives.

Old 03-22-2014, 05:32 AM
Winching

sorry to rehash an old thread.. but a little update. i do no know why for the life of me, i never thought to put the truck in neutral while coasting to see if it vibrates.. vibration goes away in neutral. truck still vibrates between 25 and 50 accelerating and slowing down(not on the brakes). no clue. looking for any input with this retarded new information..

im planning on checking the trans mounts monday morning.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:29 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help US!!!

Originally Posted by zeroone
sorry to rehash an old thread.. but a little update. i do no know why for the life of me, i never thought to put the truck in neutral while coasting to see if it vibrates.. vibration goes away in neutral. truck still vibrates between 25 and 50 accelerating and slowing down(not on the brakes). no clue. looking for any input with this retarded new information..

im planning on checking the trans mounts monday morning.

I have noticed I have a rattling sound coming from the transmission area that only really happens at speed. Really sounds like the same issue. I am also getting some hard shifts after it warms up. I am wondering if there might be transmission issues in my future....

Old 03-24-2014, 07:04 PM
Winching

im wondering the same. but i kinda doubt it. the transmissions are pretty stout in these. i did look at the mounts. they are original(engine and trans). they also have heat shields on them. the right trans mount looks like it may be squashed. im not sure. i was too busy gloating over my new radiator to take a picture.

it just really bugs me that i have no clue what is causing it.

Last edited by zeroone; 03-24-2014 at 07:13 PM.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:02 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Possible Torque Converter failure or plugged transmission filter, just my thoughts.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:41 PM
Winching

i dont know about the torque converter.. no slippage, surging, noise, or power loss. can a failure start with a vibration?

i have plans next oil change to service the trans. i need to replace the damn breather tubes as well.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:55 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroone
i dont know about the torque converter.. no slippage, surging, noise, or power loss. can a failure start with a vibration?
I think vibration (shudder) is a symptom of oil starvation. This could be caused by several things, but the easiest and cheapest fix is to change fluid and filter. (I am by no means a transmission mechanic, I know just enough about transmissions (1) to be dangerous, and (2) to leave the rebuilding to others.

Quick Reply: Yes.. another vibration question, sorry