Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet Another Inline Thermostat Mod

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2020, 09:31 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Yet Another Inline Thermostat Mod

So I've been dealing with inadequate cooling problems for a while now, and I got tired of trying to keep the stock cooling configuration. New thermostat, new fan, new fan clutch, nothing seemed to work. So here comes another inline thermostat convert.

@Extinct was kind enough to reach out with a kit he had developed, and this month I went in and changed the fan, fan clutch, water pump, lower radiator hose, and thermostat (obviously), back-flushed the heater core and radiator (which was essentially new), and added a bleeder valve to the upper hose. The kit came with a hose splice to connect the existing lower hoses, but I decided to go with the Gates 22073 for aesthetic purposes. Otherwise, there are no new hoses required, and no cutting of the fan shroud.

At idle, temperatures have dropped from 212 to about 187, and temps stay rock steady throughout. I'm calling this a success.

From the pictures below, you can probably figure out how the kit works, and @Extinct was kind enough to allow me to post them anyway. But he obviously put a significant amount of time and work into finding the correct parts and developing the kit, and if you're interested in duplicating this system, you should support the people that support this community. As far as I could tell, he's barely making any money selling these anyway.

As an aside, when back-flushing the radiator, I cobbled together this thing that you stick into the lower radiator hose which seals it to the garden hose. Works fantastic; it's a garden hose valve, female-to-female connector, an adapter for a sump pump, and a hose barb connector. Ignore the fact that a month of working from home has gotten to the point where I don't bother changing out of pajamas when going outside.

The following 9 users liked this post by Jason Feuerstein:
ahab (04-09-2020), DiscoID (02-17-2021), greisinb (02-19-2021), jastutte (04-10-2020), Kuenzig (02-18-2021), mollusc (04-09-2020), NewToTheTwo (04-09-2020), Richard Gallant (04-09-2020), whowa004 (04-09-2020) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-09-2020, 10:04 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,178 Likes on 815 Posts

What size is that barb ?

Old 04-09-2020, 10:04 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,508 Likes on 1,068 Posts

LOL on the pajamas, we have all been there.

The following users liked this post:
DiscoID (02-17-2021)
Old 04-09-2020, 10:17 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Richard Gallant
What size is that barb ?
The barb is 1.25 inches, which is the size of the lower hose (but not the outlet). I got all of them off Amazon.

The following users liked this post:
Richard Gallant (04-09-2020)
Old 04-09-2020, 10:26 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 387 Likes on 293 Posts

I was just texting with a buddy in the UP and we were discussing the fact that putting pants on first thing usually results in a more productive day, however for me it rarely happens. And I've been working from home for over 15 years...

Nice work guys. I've been resisting the inline mod and my newly rebuilt cooling system is running 184°-194° under normal driving conditions, and 201° at extended idle. It's an average of about 55° ambient here in my corner of PA, we'll see what happens in 2-3 months when that spikes by 35-40°.

This may still be a weak point in your cooling system. If what I've been reading on the forum lately has any merit, this is a severely unreliable piece of equipment.

Old 04-09-2020, 10:32 AM
Camel Trophy

I had been reaching out privately to forum members who seemed to be considering this path to enable them to opt in for a beta kit. I plan to launch a web site later this month to offer these in broader circulation via ecommerce(not just Disco's but other applications as well). In the meantime I can handle interested parties on an individual basis. Jason we kind of excited about his results and wanted to post here, I appreciate the kind words. Cost is $52.50 plus shipping, I can usually ship US priority mail for about $9 but if you are international it may cost a bit more. I have not ordered significant inventory yet because I was waiting to get the web site up and the kit design validated for the other non-disco configurations, but if there is significant interest I will just go ahead and order the components for the Disco/RR (fits P38's as well) configurations and keep enough in stock to ship daily.

In the meantime feel free to PM or email me directly.

Thanks

Tim

The following 5 users liked this post by Extinct:
ahab (04-09-2020), DiscoID (02-17-2021), jastutte (04-10-2020), mollusc (04-09-2020), Richard Gallant (04-09-2020)
Old 04-09-2020, 10:37 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by ahab
I was just texting with a buddy in the UP and we were discussing the fact that putting pants on first thing usually results in a more productive day, however for me it rarely happens. And I've been working from home for over 15 years...

Nice work guys. I've been resisting the inline mod and my newly rebuilt cooling system is running 184°-194° under normal driving conditions, and 201° at extended idle. It's an average of about 55° ambient here in my corner of PA, we'll see what happens in 2-3 months when that spikes by 35-40°.

This may still be a weak point in your cooling system. If what I've been reading on the forum lately has any merit, this is a severely unreliable piece of equipment.

The PO has installed a number of replacement parts, including the upper hose. I chose not to take it out at this time, but I'm definitely keeping an eye on it.

Old 04-09-2020, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

The URO hoses I see fail = lower molded hoses.

Old 02-16-2021, 11:26 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Extinct
I had been reaching out privately to forum members who seemed to be considering this path to enable them to opt in for a beta kit. I plan to launch a web site later this month to offer these in broader circulation via ecommerce(not just Disco's but other applications as well). In the meantime I can handle interested parties on an individual basis. Jason we kind of excited about his results and wanted to post here, I appreciate the kind words. Cost is $52.50 plus shipping, I can usually ship US priority mail for about $9 but if you are international it may cost a bit more. I have not ordered significant inventory yet because I was waiting to get the web site up and the kit design validated for the other non-disco configurations, but if there is significant interest I will just go ahead and order the components for the Disco/RR (fits P38's as well) configurations and keep enough in stock to ship daily.

In the meantime feel free to PM or email me directly.

Thanks

Tim
Hey Tim!
Are you still selling these inline thermostat kits?

Old 02-17-2021, 05:28 PM
Camel Trophy

Yep, send me a PM. You would not believe the supply chain issues I have been having on this.

Quick Reply: Yet Another Inline Thermostat Mod