Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Bosch Platinum +4 Spark Plugs Good or Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 08:39 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: Bosch Platinum +4 Spark Plugs Good or Bad?

This is a major evap leak that is knocking your power down not a leaking gas cap.
Have you resolved the problem and got the old engine up and pulling know?
Mike

Old 11-26-2007, 03:40 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i have plenty of experience with Bosch...first off bosch isnt original equipment in any vehicle on the planet...you should put back into your vehicle what it was designed to run on...champions i belive just make sure they are double plats. Bosch has caused me nothing but problems in my 10 years of turning a wrench, and you`re right you are not going to notice anything positive with those, i suggest champion double plats or NGK double Plats...and Borg-Warner Custom Fit Wires...give it a try in any car...Fords= autolite plugs Honda= NGK chrysler= champion and so on and so on...think about it, your car was designed to run at its peak performance with Champion plugs...why not put those back in it?

Old 11-27-2007, 02:01 PM
Administrator

Well, you are wrong, Bosch is a standard plug for many European vehicles like Mercedes, BMW and others.
Also, just to set the record straight, our Rover engines, when first designed came with AC Delco plugs, then Rover switched them to Champions.
If you are wanting to talk about failures, then we should talk about the poor quality of the B/W p;ug wires which don't hold up to our engines heat.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:20 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

WOOOO!

I've got Bosch +4 in my RR 4.0se for some time now (last summer) runs sweet (ran good w/ old champs tho')

I've had some $5 ea autolites in my 4.0 disco for maybe a year & it runs great too!

I'm not brand loyal, but I second Mike on VERY GOOD plug wires - these babies can make heat!!
(Not enough room for my resume since 1959) - put cheap parts on cheap cars

Old 03-06-2008, 07:39 AM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: LandRoverSE

Now that I got my bosch plugs in I had to replace my o2 Sensors. But it still doesn't feel like I'm getting all my power out of my Rover. When I stomp it to pass or get up to any speed it doesn't wanna go over 3500rpm's unless I use sport mode. It wasn't like that before I had bad wires. But I didn't notice a difference in regular mode and sport mode until I got my new plugs and wires. Any ideas on what it could be Mike???

[IMG]local://upfiles/5641/637EE85C98424EF2813197855B2A16BB.jpg[/IMG]
Are you still fighting your power issues and getting over 3500 RPM's, if so give me a shout sometime and lets talk about it.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:09 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

imho, I am a little skeptical when it comes to plugs and performance anyhow. First off, I don't put 100% faith in something because it was OEM. I've seen many situations where the original manufacturer went with a cheap-crappy design because it saved them money in the long run. Going off of this same though, who is to say that the spark plugs are any different?

Next, the internal combustion engine is basically controlled explosions. The bigger the bang, the more power. If I pour 1 OZ of gasoline on the ground and light it with a match...and then I pour 1 OZ of gasoline on the ground and light it with a lighter and do the same using an Oxy/Acetylene torch...which one is going to generate a bigger "BOOM"?

I'd say they are all going to be about the same. Gas is gas, it's going to ignite. The only issue is if your plugs are fouling and they don't produce enough of a spark to ignite the fuel/oxygen mixture...but I don't see how having two hundred gazillion volts going to a super Bosch + 9000 plug is going to produce any extra horsepower. You're going to reach a point where the mixture is ignited and that's that.

From there it becomes a matter of increasing oxygen and fuel, increasing compression, increasing stroke and bore.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:30 PM
Administrator

The plugs and wires haven't caused this code.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:38 AM
Winching

My bosch fusions are great. They really made my disco more peppy (most likely due to "new" plugs/wires). Either way, they have not caused any problems.. so I'm happy.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:58 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
As part of doing my head gaskets I am going to up grade to their new Fusion plugs which is even a step up over the Plus 4's.

Mike,

I am about to go buy some plugs to change them this weekend. (Did the wires last weekend...) I was doing some searches and came across your post above (I know, 2007!). I was wondering if you tried out the Platinum lr Fusion plug and if you would prefer those over the 4+. The Bosch website actually has a mail in rebate form now ($1 / 4+, $2 / Fusion)...

Thanks!
Lambert

Old 10-19-2012, 11:16 AM
1st Gear
Default Discovery 4

I have a 2010 Discovery 2010 4.0 l V6, what Bosch model is best for my car?

Quick Reply: Bosch Platinum +4 Spark Plugs Good or Bad?