Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Engine Swaps (https://landroverforums.com/forum/engine-swaps-63/)
-   -   OM602 Diesel swap (https://landroverforums.com/forum/engine-swaps-63/om602-diesel-swap-114735/)

PickleRick 12-01-2022 08:47 AM

Are you going to do any trail riding with this rig? I'd be interested in what systems are still functional without the V8 lump and how it affects off road and on road usage. My little lady likely won't use it off road but I'm sure she'll insist on a snow run when we get our scheduled one to two days of snow a year around here.

Rover956 12-01-2022 02:27 PM

She will just be a daily commuter and beach runs. Here in south texas theres not alot of rough terrain and i didnt plan on giving her a rough life in the mud either. I want her to last a while so it will be pampered alot. So far i have no dash lights like the dreaded 3 amigos so my guess is that its all working fine.

PickleRick 12-01-2022 03:00 PM

That's good news. I'm assuming you're getting the SES light blinking?

Did you use any of the land Rover sending units (oil/water temp) on the MB motor so your dash gauges work?

I'm not sure how the disco 2 tach works, on the merc I believe there is a magnet on the flywheel and a sensor on the bell housing. I'm interested in how to get that functional.

Rover956 12-02-2022 01:51 AM

As far as gauges go i got some from glowshift for oil pressure, water temp and boost. The fuel pump is disabled and only serves as a fuel sending unit to tell me how much fuel i have in the dash as it would normally. The rev counts are indeed controlled by the crank position sensor on the flywheel but ive had no luck getting that to work. Sorry for the bad pic but you get the idea.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/landrov...83003789f1.jpg

PickleRick 12-02-2022 06:03 AM

Did your compushift need an additional parts like a throttle position sensors? Transmission high pressure line sensor or MAF?

Rover956 12-02-2022 06:25 AM

Thats something im gonna have to fabricate because yes compushift needs at least a tps to get signal along with xyz switch. A maf does help but is not needed according to what it says on their page.

PickleRick 12-02-2022 06:58 AM

Are you running an intercooler? On my 4 runner I didn't use a MAF but I did have to use an IAT. On eBay/Amazon you can buy a little 4 to 6 inch long charge pipe in different diameters to insert into the intercooler pipe system. There were much more available for the MAF when I was trying to find one for an IAT.

Also, not sure if you knew this or not but the disco picks up the tach signal from the alternator. If we can find out how it reads it should be able to be duplicated, possibly a Dakota digital box to connect two different signals.

I was thinking of trying to run the Rover alternator similar to how you ran the Rover ac compressor.

Rover956 12-02-2022 07:12 AM

The disco 2 gets the rpm signal from the flywheel i believe the disco 1 does get it from the alternator. Im running the disco 2 alternator on the stock mercedes bracket. All i did was swap the pulley from the benz alt to the rover and all fit fine. I do notice the battery light comes on when i start her but goes away as soon as i rev her up.

PickleRick 12-02-2022 07:44 AM

That's interesting. I've been under the disco 2 hood extensively replacing head gaskets and coils but never noticed a sensor back there other than the CPS.

Is the tach pickup sensor attached to the bell housing? If so that should make for an easy swap if it's just a magnet pickup on the stock flex plate.

Rover956 12-02-2022 08:03 AM

I thought it was gonna be easy too then i realized that the rear sump does not have any place to mount the cps like in the front sump style. I also ordered a 60 to 1 trigger wheel mounted to a pulley up front and made some tests but also did not work. Not sure if i was doing it wrong or what. I then stopped once i found out compushift doesnt need a tach signal to work.