Freelander Talk about the Land Rover Freelander within.

2005 Freelander Quality/ Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 02:41 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Freelander Quality/ Reliability

I've been researching '05 Freelanders pretty hard. I've test driven one, been to a couple of autoshows where I crawled all around them, and spent quite a few hours online reading up on them. So far, I've loved everything about the Freelander, with one exception - I've been reading a lot of reviews online that are horror stories of quality/ reliability issues. Most have to deal with electrical, transmission, and/ or brake problems. Now, I realize that people are more likely to write a review if they've had a bad experience and I've also heard that the majority of the problems have been fixed already for the '05 model, but can anyone speak a little more to this from personal experience?

This is a pretty big issue for me because I live about 60 miles from the closest dealership, and if what everyone is saying in their reviews is true, I don't want to have to drive 60 miles a couple times per month because of these problems.

Thanks!
Eric

Old 03-01-2005, 11:09 PM
Winching
Default RE: 2005 Freelander Quality/ Reliability

Have you checked out Consumer Reports or JD Powers yet ? These are the foremost sites for the US. Also check with NHTSA for recalls.

Old 03-26-2005, 09:40 PM
Drifting

I have an '02 Freelander and love it (for the most part). We've had no major problems. We've only had a couple of minor problems:

-the rear wiper stopped working properly. Dealer fixed it in a jiffy.
-Had a blown speaker. Dealer replaced it.

The interior seems to have been upgraded in the newer models. That was one minor complaint I had. The interior wasn't bad but it was a bit cheap. What I've seen in the newer models looks much better.

I also would say it's not a terribly large vehicle. If you have children you might want to go for the Disco. We're looking at getting a Disco this year to replace the FL. It's been a great vehicle so far. Just wish it was a little bigger.

It's also not terribly quick but, then again, it's not made for that. I can say it's been great in the snow. We've had some great snow storms and I've yet to come close to getting it stuck--even though I've tried.

So I can say mine has been pretty reliable.

Old 03-30-2005, 09:07 PM
3rd Gear

I have an '04 FL HSE, and my only "problem" so far has been the amber-colored HDC light comes on intermittently for no apparent reason. I know the regular HDC light is green. I've brought this to my dealer's attention a couple times, and they've checked connections, etc. but can't find a real problem. Also, the "rubber" coating on one of the rotary ***** for the A/C controls wore off, showing shiny hard plastic. That was replaced. Otherwise, it's been great! Looking for some smoother, quieter tires, though, as I don't off-road much, and really want to augment the ride comfort as much as I can. Hope this helps!

Old 08-24-2005, 12:50 PM
2nd Gear

My freelander had the HDC / TC light problem but seems to have fixed it self !!

Old 09-10-2005, 01:19 AM
Three Wheeling

dude they arnt as great as people think.. imho the car is crap... btw i am a lr tech so i see all the problems

Old 12-09-2005, 12:08 PM
8th Gear

I have had a 2002 for four years. One thing you must watch is the brake pads on the front. There are no wear indicators so when they are worn your metal on metal. I learned the hard way at 25,000 miles. $500 later I was back on the road. I bought an extra set of pads to keep on hand and every 15,000 I drop a new set in and adjust the back.

Old 03-14-2006, 04:30 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't do it!!!! I have a Freelander 2002 and I've had nothing but problems with it. Landrover has actually discontinued the model. You can check on their website...it doesn't even list it as a model any more. I've had my rover in the shop 12 times and 11 of those times was for replacement of defective parts!! Not a good percentage.

They advertise that this vehicle is the most travelled vehicle on earth and yet I can't get it out of the driveway!!! They talk about adventerous, quality, and supermacy but I have not seen any of these qualities. Save your money and buy something else.

Old 09-07-2008, 11:41 AM
1st Gear

Hello,

I know this is an old thread...but was looking to find something here...

I have a 2002 Land Rover Freelander and see that the following was mentioned above

" Also, the "rubber" coating on one of the rotary ***** for the A/C controls wore off, showing shiny hard plastic. That was replaced. "

Has anyone found out where to order replacements for these *****? I have looked everywhere for them and have had no luck.

Thanks

Old 09-30-2008, 06:28 PM
Overlanding

LAW OFFICES OF HOWARD A. GUTMAN

230 Route 206, Suite 307

Flanders, New Jersey 07836

Phone (973) 598-1980 Fax (973) 598-1982

Please get in touch with Mr. Gutman. We have a class action lawsuit against Landrover. I have a 2003 Freelander, I've replaced the engine, the fuel pump, the brakes on passenger side at least 10 times. My car sat at the LR dealership in american fork Utah for 10 months. My car was still under the original factory warranty. I was given a rental car for 10 months. After all was said & done I got stuck with a rebuilt engine at the price of $7000, a rental car bill $6000, paid for a car that I did not use for 10 months & insurance on that car. Finally, after finding others that had the same problems with thier freelander and a young lady on you tube who had wanted to file a class action law suit. Land Rover North America would never return my phone calls, and blamed me for being negligent in the care of my car & thats why I had the problems. I had paperwork, showing that I had done the recommended oil changes etc. I recieved a phone call from Michael at LRNA customer relations, last week & this week, trying to reimburse me for the engine. I forwarded the phone call to Mr. Gutman in hopes that we will soon have these unsafe vehicles off of the road & no one will ever purchase one of these money pits AGAIN!!!

Quick Reply: 2005 Freelander Quality/ Reliability