Freelander Talk about the Land Rover Freelander within.

RH cylinder head zero compression

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 11:48 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RH cylinder head zero compression

Hello
I am new to working on my 03 freelander have not had it very long, but am a capable diy mechanic on most projects.
I could really use some help on my 03 Freelander, great vehicle 2.5L V6 gas

03 freelander 75K miles orig. cam belts

running fine up to cold start attempt which turned into a no start.

spark,fuel, ok
compression LH Bank 120
compression Rh Bank 0

front and rear timing belts and cams turning ok
looks like timing marks are no longer aligned on rear RH bank

My question would this motor be able to be saved or has this likely damaged the cylinder sleves?

Would there be any damage to head other than bent valve or valves?

Thanks for the help Denny

Also with the heads off is it possible to install the timing belts without the special tools? How about the front belt?

Old 01-26-2009, 05:25 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RH cylinder head zero compression

Well lets face itnot many know much about the timing belts and are willing to share good information here except that they need changed around 72K mi alot of info on how they are so hard to changewell hereare the real facts

What I found on my 2.5L V6 is my rear belt slipped sure enough.They like to do it when very cold.No damage to block or pistons. 3 new belts, water pump, pipe, therm cover, etc. You can make a holding tool and get the job done if you don't want to buy the tools. I found the complete set for $300 us in the UK if you want to go that way alot less than from Kent Moore. And if your going to keep the car way less the second time around, not a bad way to go, good investment for most.

I am planning on putting up a web page that will show how all this is done the easy way when I have it finished will post the link.

The belts are very easy to change and it couldn't be easier for a DIY'er since I found the Rave factory repair manual is downloadedfor free and a neat little Rover factory video of step by step on how to do it.
Bottom line the timing cam belt change is no big deal and alot less than the $3K the dealer wants for the job.
No need to junk a good vehicle for a little problem like cam belts.

One last thing my research shows you would be wise to make the belt change around 60K. I bet that the second time around it would only take 4hrs or less.