Freelander Talk about the Land Rover Freelander within.

Thinking of purchasing a Freelander

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 09:04 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of purchasing a Freelander

Hey everone. I am new to the forum. I am thinking about purchasing a 2004 Freelander. My mechanic, who only works on european autos, says its in great condition. But I am wondering if what Freelander owners think of their rides. Pros? Cons? Anything would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

~Jaison

Old 05-03-2009, 10:56 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hard to say, some love them, some hate them and they are actually trying a lawsuit versus Land Rover. this is the main problem (mechanical wise). The engine runs great while everything is in check, however the engine was designed with different metal/steel alloys that when they overheat the expand at a very different rate and engine fails.

The entire system works great but borderline hot, so any small problems with the cooling system will be lethal, the common reason is a cracked coolant reservoir, or hose rupture, again the reservoir will crack or the hoses will fail because the engine just runs a little hotter that it should, if you look at the temp needle, it likes to be close to the middle.

So if you buy one do yourself a favor and buy a "Freelander Engine Cooling Kit" which is a set of relays and wires, connectors that installs in minutes and reduces the operating temperature by turning the fan (s) at a different temperatures than the programmed by factory without interfering with the a/c and other components.

send me an e-mail and I will send you the info langford.steve@yahoo.com