General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 P38 ALARM SYSTEM HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008 | 06:27 PM
|
Overlanding
Default 1999 P38 ALARM SYSTEM HELP!!

this is the second week owning my P38 and of course i am having my first problem!!! I have been unlocking my 1999 P38 with 88k with my key these whole 2 weeks and now the car wont unlock. the remote is broken! thus leaving me with no choice but breaking in. it is probably a problem with the key lock to the actuator. BUT i was wondering if any one knew howto get the alarm to stop with just the key. i tried leaving the battery off to reset the car but the alarm wont quit. of all the problems this is it! please please help. PM me or post

Old 03-24-2008 | 09:43 PM
Winching
Default RE: 1999 P38 ALARM SYSTEM HELP!!

Uh ohhh...you seem to be having the same problem I had. The way it's supposed to work is that even if your alarm is going off, you can stick the key in the ignition and go to start, and it will cut off the alarm, and start the vehicle. Mine didn't do that. The problem with mine was a failing door lock mechanism which meant I could not reprogram the computer to match my handset, and I was completely locked out. The EKA (emergency key access) did nothing, since essentially the lock cylinder was not connected to anything! Now I've still got a dead handset, and simply use the key to get in and out, since a new handset runs upwards of $185.

Old 03-25-2008 | 05:24 AM
|
Overlanding

so you think a new handset is the only thing that will work? my car is just sitting in a mall parking lot! looks like im not getting to work!

Old 03-25-2008 | 08:23 AM
Winching

Could be a handset, or it could be the door actuator/lock assembly, or it could even be a bad Body Control Module. First you might want to make sure your handset battery is good/replaced, as well as your Range's battery is good..sometimes a dying battery can cause weird stuff to happen.

My problem was the door end of things, but I also have a dead handset. Not sure on the relation between the two, but they just compounded the problem.

Have you tried relearning the remote to the vehicle?

Old 03-25-2008 | 10:56 AM
|
Overlanding

my remote is broken i tried replacing the batterys yesterday. but the little red led light on the remote didnt work when i put the new ones in..is it supposed to? i know how to re marry the handset to the car but i dont even know if its working. do u think a new remote will solve the problem cause i just need a car asap.

Old 03-25-2008 | 12:55 PM
Winching

Well, how does the key feel in the lock? Does it feel like it's not attached to anything and just turns side to side? Or is it being obstructed and can't turn at all? I had the first one, turned out I just lost the mechanical linkage..then after that was fixed the whole thing failed and I couldn't turn the key to unlock at all..I could lock fine, just not the other way. So I had to replace the whole assembly. Now it's no problem, but I still have a busted remote (so no remote entry).

After answering that up there, 2nd question is can you get in? If you get in, and trigger the alarm, can you start the car with the key in the ignition? If not I believe that means you have a problem with the body control module. This could still be linked back to the computer not being able to learn the handset...but I'm not sure.

Lastly, if the lock cyclinder is still connected, but just won't unlock the car, you can try the EKA procedure. You will need to know your 4 digit security passcode though...my problem was that I bought it used and the previous owner didnt transfer that particular piece of info to me...

Old 03-25-2008 | 01:38 PM
|
Overlanding

thats it! i can lock it. but cant unlock it.. i broke into it but couldnt get it started.. i tried leaving the battery off and leaving the key in position II and that didnt work.. i just ordered a new remote.. do you know if it ll still work if the car doesnt unlock? now i gotta go back there and break in AGAIN... i heard that my battery in the car maybe weak.. soo im gunna hook a jump box up to it... and try from there... this is horrible.

Old 03-25-2008 | 02:13 PM
Winching

Well...I think you're going to have to sync the new handset to the BCM...and if you can't unlock then you can't sync. You're probably going to have to pop the door panel off and check out the door lock mechanism.

Old 03-25-2008 | 04:48 PM
|
Overlanding

I GOT IT HOME and out of that mall parking lot! thank god! and now the alarm fault that i had is gone! what i think worked was the (1515) EKA! pretty happy about it! but i am not locking any doors untill the new remote comes in.. now i gotta deal with all the windows not being set and the "bonnet" haha! do u happen to know how to do that? and by the way thanks soooo much for all your help! i really appreciate it!

Old 03-25-2008 | 04:53 PM
Winching

Congratulations! Glad the EKA did the trick!

The hood just open and close it I believe...although I don't think I've ever gotten a message about the hood after disconnecting the battery. As for the windows, just fully open, then move immediately and fully close the window via the switch in the center console. That should get it set. The methods for that are in your manual if you wanna double check me!

And I would still be careful about that lock. What killed me was that after 85k miles of using RKE, and my remote started dying, I thought 'hey no biggie, i'll use the key'. Well apparently the sudden usage after 85k of no use killed her . And that's why I had to replace the parts!

You should get your battery tested at Autozone or Advance..this might just be a dying battery and you don't wanna have 1) more problems, or 2) have the battery take down your alternator!

Good luck!

Quick Reply: 1999 P38 ALARM SYSTEM HELP!!