General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'93 rrc lwb

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 07:28 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '93 rrc lwb

Hi, I have just purchased a '93 with only 78K, having sold my old one some years ago, and regretted it. I purchased it over the phone/web. Mostly good, but obviously has been sitting for some time. I replaced the steering box and hoses, water pump, tune up parts and then the front left brake caliper started to leak horribly. The power steering fluid had been eating the seals for some time. I rebuilt the caliper, replaced the pads, and bled the system. The ABS light was, and still is on. I took it for a test drive, and it felt as if the rear brakes were dragging. I inspected them, and the pistons are free. If I release some fluid, thus pressure, I can push back the pads/pistons. However, when the ignition activates the ABS pump, they are applied again? What am I missing? I bled all four corners, and checked for free piston movement. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-13-2015, 06:28 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Traction Control isn't happy?

Check the ABS sensors back there.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:01 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

when you rebuilt the caliper did you replace the piston? was there any corrosion on any of the pistons before you cleaned the up?

Old 04-13-2015, 12:01 PM
3rd Gear
Default Brakes

Yes I checked and cleaned them, when apart...not my first rodeo. I have been wrenching for 37 years! I have just never before, owned a vehicle, that decides when to apply the brakes! I will check the ABS sensors. I do have a Rave manual from owning my last LWB. Hopefully it addresses them? Thanks.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:57 PM
3rd Gear
Default Aaargh!

OK! Read the relevant section, and removed the dust shields. I assume a gentle tap a couple of times to "adjust" the sensors is right? I blew out a lot of brake dust with an air line, first. It states the replacement of the bush is necessary, if removed? Any feedback on that? I don't want to remove them, without having the parts on hand. It seems they should function properly, with the correct air gap. The ABS light will remain, however, until the codes are cleared? Do the codes, infact, need to be cleared to function properly?
Thanks in advance.