General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 LRRR 4.0 Radio Code

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 05:02 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 LRRR 4.0 Radio Code

I had to replace my radio with a used unit and no code. If I have the VIN# it came from is there a site that can give me the code that won't cost an arm and a leg or better yet free?
I don't have a dealer near by.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by vjm530; 02-28-2013 at 05:05 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:29 PM
Rock Crawling

Just give your nearest dealer a call, and ask them for the code. Dont bother explaining that you took the radio out of another truck. Just tell them that you lost your code, and provide them with the VIN and your set.

The reason I say dont tell them the story is because I did the same thing, called two dealers and they both told me they couldnt give me the code. Called the third dealer, told them I just lost the code and they gave it to me ASAP.

It shouldnt cost you more then a minute and half of your time.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:38 PM
Drifting

I did that and got a 5 digit number rather than a 4 like before and now I get nothing. Not even 'Code In' which I first got before I punched in the 5 digits. All specs/numbers agree with the old set except the new/used one is from a 99 Disco and mine is a 97 LRRR. All plugs and layout are identical. I will wait a few hours and try again.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:25 PM
Drifting

I'm pretty sure the dealer gave me the wrong code. He gave me 5 digits to punch in. I get the 4 dashes and then 'Code In'. When I punch in the 4 number it goes back to 4 dashes which indicates the wrong code. Is there another source to check for a code if I have the VIN#?

Old 02-28-2013, 07:26 PM
Rock Crawling

It is a 5 digit code......

Old 02-28-2013, 07:27 PM
Rock Crawling

Are you pressing any buttons before you start hitting the numbers?
I had an issue the first time I punched mine in because I kept hitting another butting and then started typing in the numbers. You need to just type the numbers in without hitting any other buttons.

And to answer your question, no. there is not a source to check it yourself. I think I have heard of a place that you can send your info in to and they charge you for the code, but I dont know if I am recalling that correctly for these vehicles

Last edited by greenharoguy; 02-28-2013 at 09:33 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:26 AM
Drifting

Thanks for all the suggestions. Is there a way to make a Discovery Radio work in a Range Rover? Both units are exactly the same in every way from model#, jacks, etc. except that the Discovery unit takes a 5 digit code and the RR a 4 digit code. I have the 5 but my car sees that it wants a 4. The screen asks for 4 digits (4 dashes) but the code I have from the previous VIN is 5 digits. Thanks for any help.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:32 AM
Rock Crawling

I dont think I can make it much simpler then this. Yes the radios are interchangeable.

P.S. you should feel special, I lifted the lid just to make this video......

Old 03-01-2013, 02:36 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

pm me the serial #off the radio housing ie: croxxxxxx
Ill look up the code for you

Old 03-01-2013, 03:37 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by greenharoguy
I dont think I can make it much simpler then this. Yes the radios are interchangeable.

Radio code - YouTube

P.S. you should feel special, I lifted the lid just to make this video......
Yes, I do feel special but . . . it didn't work for me. I followed your simple video but nothing new. Maybe it worked for you because you mention that you put a RR radio in your Disco when I'm trying to do just the opposite. Disco into a RR. Any other suggestion?

Thanks for your help.

Vince

Quick Reply: 97 LRRR 4.0 Radio Code