General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice: Buying a 2002 RR w/65K

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 01:48 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice: Buying a 2002 RR w/65K

I wanted to know are there any major pitfalls in buying a 2002 RR with 65k? I see that the 2002 P38 doesnt have the problems of earlier versions. I want to get it for the east coast winters. But will repair costs cripple my enjoyment of the car? I'm going to look at it this weekend, any ideas on how to properly test drive? Any help much aprreciated.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:58 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket54
I wanted to know are there any major pitfalls in buying a 2002 RR with 65k? I see that the 2002 P38 doesnt have the problems of earlier versions. I want to get it for the east coast winters. But will repair costs cripple my enjoyment of the car? I'm going to look at it this weekend, any ideas on how to properly test drive? Any help much aprreciated.
Any used car has potential problems Rocket and a Range Rover has more systems than most cars therefore the potential for additional headaches.
My checklist would be this;

1, Test drive for at least 15 minutes and observe the temperature gauge, it should NOT get past the 12.00 position.
2, Check the AC and check that the directional changes to the vents are all working correctly.
3, Check that the car operates in the low range of the transmission.
4, Make sure that the suspension transitions from normal to highway smoothly, (55 + mph for more than 2 or so minutes).
5, Check that the suspension operates throughout its entire range, car in park,engine running.
6, Check under the passenger carpet at the front left for any signs of coolant.
Obviously you will need to listen for any abnormal noises, clunks clanks etc, you could also check the function of the seat heaters and other bells and whistles but that should cover the major problem areas.
Hope that helps you out and good luck.

Chris.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:15 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd also check the condition of the air suspension bags by crawling underneath the four corners and visually checking the bags for major cracks, holes, etc. An '02 will definitely be near needing the air suspension bags replaced if they haven't been done. Honestly, '00 on is pretty solid for P38's. Repair costs shouldn't ruin your enjoyment if you pay attention to warning signs and correct problems as they arise. You can't ignore problems on Rovers like you can on other vehicles, without getting into trouble. Just keep in mind you will still have annoying quirks and you will have repair costs. Plan accordingly and you should love your Rover!

Old 08-23-2009, 11:18 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The suspension is one of the biggest issues to look at. If the bags are really work or cracked then take that into consideration when negotiating. They are easy to replace but it will still cost about $600 for replacement bags not including labor. if they look like an old tire anywhere in the range of height then I would plan on replacing them.

The blend motors for the climate control is another area that can be expensive and a pain. make sure that when you change the direction of the air flow that it does it. It is not immediate like some new cars but it will change in a couple of seconds.

I always say to look at the color of the oil and if you can get a flashlight in the oil filler to see what color the rocker shaft is and if there is any crud in there, it may show poor maintenance of oil changes.

All other normal things to look for when buying a car is a given, good luck.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:14 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

So Rocket54, did you get it ? I used my 2002 through a heavily laden snow season in Chicago and it was excellent.

Old 08-26-2009, 04:51 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the help. I decided not to go with that RR. The dealer had some excuses and statements like "we can fix that, if you want it." All your tips helped out. There were a lot things I would not have looked for without your help.