General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After battery change write up

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 07:06 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After battery change write up

I just finished the process of changing the battery in my 97 Range Rover(This should work for all P38's) due to someone forgetting to turn the lights off. So to help someone get everything working again, I am writing this write up. Mods, can you please sticky this. This is all in the owners manual and the details are on page 135 if i remember correctly

Once you get the new battery installed you will need to resynchronize the remotes, reset the windows, enter the radio code, and reset the clock. Until you do these the car will not super lock, the radio won't work, and the remote won't work. Also remember that when power is restored the doors will lock if you don't keep one open so if you keep the doors locked then don't keep the keys in it.

To Resynchronize the remotes, make sure the car alarm is not set. If the doors are unlocked: press the lock button on the remote then insert the key into the door, and lock it with the keys. If the doors are locked, but the alarm is not set: press the unlock button on the remote and then put the key in the door and unlock the doors. Test the remote to see if it works. If not repeat the process.

Make sure you know the radio code before you disconnect the battery, if not you have to call or go to the dealer, and they may or may not still have the codes in their database. The code is a 4 digit code and none of the digits are greater then 6. DO NOT TRY AND GUESS YOUR CODE!!! You only have 3 attempts to enter it and then you are locked out from entering a code for 1 hour. After 1 hour you can enter 1 more code, if it is wrong you are locked out for another hour. When the display says CODE IN that's when you enter the code. To enter the code you use the preset buttons. if your code is 1234 then press button 1, then button 2, then button 3, then button 4, if you entered it correct the display will change to a radio frequency and it will start playing that station. If you got it wrong the code will stay on the screen, press and hold the BND button for 4 seconds and the display will change to CODE IN again. Once you unlock it all you have to do is change your woof, bass,mid, and treb settings again, and restore your presets.

The window autodown or up feature will no longer work. also when you go to move the windows up, the message center will beep and say which window you are raising and say WINDOW NOT SET, to change this you need to fully open the window, then fully close the window. then the message center will say which window and WINDOW SET, the auto function for that window works. You need to repeat this for the other windows. The sunroof also needs to be programmed. The Process for this is fully open the sunroof, then fully close it, fully tilt it, and fully close it again. This needs to be done with almost no delay time in pressing the switch in the opposite direction. When doing the Sunroof , the message center will say SUNROOF NOT SET. once you are closing it from the tilt position it will say SUNROOF SET.

Finally for the clock there is a small button in the left bottom corner of the clock. Just press and hold it until you get to the correct time.

Your car should be back to normal again. If you don't understand something said here, like I said earlier, it is all in the owners manual. If you need a walk through just PM me and i will set something up with you. Good luck

Old 01-19-2007, 07:57 PM
8th Gear
Default RE: After battery change write up

Holy cow man, thank you SO much. my 98 HSE was driving me up the wall!! i bought it form the dealer with no manuals. i recently disconnected the battery and had no idea what the radio code was or how to reset any of the windows. i got the code from the dealer but had no idea how to put it in (i already put in a wrong one). but after reading this i ran outside and did it in 2 minutes. THANK YOU!!!

Old 01-19-2007, 11:27 PM
Mudding

No problem dude, Just thought i should pass on my knowledge to fellow Range Rover owners

Old 02-23-2007, 01:00 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For those who may not know, You may purchase a Land Rover (covers most? models) RAVE cd on ebay.
I did, (one of my better compulsive purchases), it's cheap as I recall & includes everything you want to know about your rover. i.e. owner's manual - shop manuals - wiring diagrams, etc.

Old 02-23-2007, 06:49 PM
4wd High

WOW! Thank you for the radio instruction. I recently purchased a 96 RR 4.6 HSE, and curerntly is fixing some issues here and there. Of course there is the EAS and the other issue was the radio. I have had a hell of time trying to get the radio to work, the screen just says - - - - no matter what I did I was not able to enter the code in there. The key was the holding the BND button for 4 seconds!!!! That did the trick, another screen appeared on the screen "CODE IN", entered the code and now the radio works!!!

Great advise, thank you for the tip.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:55 AM
2nd Gear

Hi Mike,
My code is 45523 but I can't get it to read the code in, on the radio. When I put in my numbers sometimes it beeps in the middle so I start over like my manual says. Sometimes it beeps at the end. but since I never got a code in I guess it is not doing anything. Thanks for your help again. LInda

Old 07-17-2007, 03:49 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Really great write up, it would be great to see more from others.
Mike

Old 07-18-2007, 06:53 AM
6th Gear

I thought you had 20 seconds in which to disconnect the battery and replace it before your setting changed? (that’s from the FIRST lead coming off the LAST one being connected when you put the other battery on) to be honest i have never had a problem doing it this way, its best to get 2 people to do it, so as you take it off the other guy is putting the new one on, saving on valuable seconds and not having to re set everything from scratch again

Edit

Just to say you have to leave your electronic (Fob) key in the ignition (not the emergency key) while you do all of this

Old 07-22-2007, 07:00 PM
Mudding

Linda, all codes for the P38 Rover radio were 4 digits, I am unsure about the newer style rover radio's. Check in your owners manual in the entertainment tab. The 4 digit code may be written in it but if not, you need to try your luck and get the code from a Rover dealer.

Old 02-19-2011, 04:55 AM
1st Gear
Default P38 Battery Change and various problems

I have recently changed the battery my Range Rover p38 (1999) and now having problems as follows;
1. Took a long time to start, coincidental as 2 glow plugs were faulty. Now fixed.
2. Message re windows not set, now set.
3. Message saying Sunroof not set, but there is no sunroof? (cannot use trip counter)
4. Instead of indicator lights flashing when I remotely lock the car, the side lights now flash?
5. Horn sounding and Lights flashing for no apparent reason every 4 hours?

Please help before we (my bride) and our elderly neighbours go mad (no puns about the elederly please ha ha). I disconnected the battery last night to get a decent nights sleep. Interestingly I have been away all week and had no problems with the alarm, it only seems to happen when I am at Home?

Quick Reply: After battery change write up