General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else have trouble getting paid by Car Cannibal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 04:51 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone else have trouble getting paid by Car Cannibal?

I initially contacted Car Cannibal on August 5, 2009 regarding selling my 1997 Range Rover to them. I received an offer back the next day, and I accepted the offer on August 8th. The truck was finally picked up and delivered to Car Cannibal on September 11th.

It's now over 4 weeks later and I have yet to receive payment for the vehicle. On top of that, no one will return my phone calls or emails regarding the matter. I haven't heard anything since September 20th (when Ryan said he would check on it), despite my calling several times and sending several emails. Whenever I call, I'm told that Ryan is the person who handles the buying and payments, and that they will let him know I called and he should contact me back. So far he has not, though.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? Can anyone suggest anything I might could do to get the money for my vehicle? I'm trying to avoid having to bring my attorney in on this matter, but I'm not sure what else I can do.

I'm very worried and frustrated, and I needed the money way back in August.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by selki; 10-18-2009 at 05:49 AM. Reason: accidentally entered the wrong dates
Old 10-10-2009, 08:03 PM
Rock Crawling

Do you still have the title? Why would you let it go without getting payment? Do you have a physical address? You can start by contacting the better business bureau.

Old 10-10-2009, 11:42 PM
7th Gear

Yes, I do still have the original title, and I have a bill of sale signed by both parties. I also have a physical address, so I will definitely look into filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. I hadn't thought of that option.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:15 AM
Rock Crawling

If you still have the title and the bill of sale you still have a leg to stand on. In most states they need to have the title even to scrap out the truck so they shouldn't be able to do anything without the title.

Old 10-11-2009, 07:08 PM
Drifting

provided they didn't go and file for lost title and show them the bill of sale even though they haven't payed

Old 10-11-2009, 07:43 PM
Rock Crawling

Just a thought but you could probably list the truck as stolen and that will red flag the title if they get a new title. Technically it is stolen since they never gave you compensation for it. Do you have a contract from them? Does it spell out how much time they have to cut you a check?

Old 10-12-2009, 05:14 AM
7th Gear

The only contract I have is the Bill of Sale, & it doesn't give a time frame. I do still have all of the email correspondence, though. In his initial email, making the monetary offer & explaining the process, Ryan said I would receive payment with 3 business days after the truck arrived & was checked in. So, a time frame was given (though not in an "official" form), but when I called & actually spoke to someone (not to Ryan, who apparently handles all this; he never returned my call) they said that they had received a lot of trucks & some were sitting for weeks waiting to be checked in because they were short handed. The person I spoke with (Rob) couldn't even tell me if my truck had been checked in -- he didn't know & apparently had no way to find out.

I think I will go & speak with the police this week to see if any criminal charge can be filed, & to see if I can report the truck as stolen.

Thanks for your replies.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:07 AM
Rock Crawling

Armed with the your paperwork and emails I certainly see no problem why you can't report it stolen. They breached the contract plain and simple. It has been a while since I have taken my business law classes but your case is pretty clear. You can and should report your truck as stolen. But keep in mind I would only do this as a last resort when you feel there is little chance of seeing the truck or the money again. I think you are probably close to that point. A month is a long time to go without communication and/or payment.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:35 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Report that puppy stolen, that is basically what happened.

If you really wanted to try to get the money then I would call them and tell them that you are reporting it stolen unless they give you the car back or the money in a cashiers check or even meet them at the bank to do the deal. You may have a check but if it cleared is whole other story. If it did not clear then they are on the hook with the DA but it still makes more time for you to get your money.

Good Luck.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:47 PM
7th Gear

I spoke with my insurance company this morning & she also said to report the truck as stolen (said it's always good to protect yourself, although every police dept. handles things differently).

I did file a complaint with the BBB this morning, so that is in the works now. Don't think it will do much good, though -- that company already has a poor rating with the BBB. I think I'll take all my paperwork & go talk to someone at the police depatment this week. I already gave Car Cannibal the "pay me or else..." (stated much more tactfully) email almost 2 weeks ago & only gave him until that Friday to pay me, so I think I've already been extremely generous with the leeway. (He didn't respond to that email either, by the way.)

Quick Reply: Anyone else have trouble getting paid by Car Cannibal?