General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a '03-'04 RR.....Tips???

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 03:22 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a '03-'04 RR.....Tips???

I've been wanting one for a while now and I'm finally going to pull the trigger. Unfortunately I don't know much about these vehicles so I was wondering if there is anything that I need to look or watch out for. Thanks for the help. I'm sure I'll have many more questions to follow.

Last edited by rogue4; 08-18-2009 at 03:26 AM.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:31 PM
Three Wheeling

Get extended warranty cause they are very expensive to repair and Land Rovers are known to have their "problems". I'd go for the '05 if it was me. Same BMW engine, but it has the touch screen navi, Blue tooth and automatic headlights. Correct me if I'm wrong '05 owners.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:22 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, the 03 and 04 are much cheaper than the 05 and 06. Although, the 06 in my opinion is a better option because it has the jaguar v8 which is an incredibly reliable and powerful engine. As previously stated, RRs are expensive to repair, so prepare yourself for that. Check the air suspension system for proper functionality before purchase, and make sure the front differential has been replaced with the newly recalled one. Rovers are great vehicles, just quirky ones. So don't let the littlest of issues convince you to take it to the dealer for diagnostics. Many of the newer rovers have electrical problems that can be random or reoccurring, just know that you will encounter a few and be prepared. Good luck!

Old 08-26-2009, 12:04 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm about to take the same plunge, but what types of electrical problems do these '04~ MY Rovers have???

Old 08-27-2009, 09:04 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by 4.4Range
Get extended warranty cause they are very expensive to repair and Land Rovers are known to have their "problems". I'd go for the '05 if it was me. Same BMW engine, but it has the touch screen navi, Blue tooth and automatic headlights. Correct me if I'm wrong '05 owners.

Bull/ BS! Not every 03 or 04 has problem. Just like any other cars. Every manufacturer has their own little problem. Extended warrnty is a waste of money. Just keep your money in the bank.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:08 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by LRScott
Well, the 03 and 04 are much cheaper than the 05 and 06. Although, the 06 in my opinion is a better option because it has the jaguar v8 which is an incredibly reliable and powerful engine. As previously stated, RRs are expensive to repair, so prepare yourself for that. Check the air suspension system for proper functionality before purchase, and make sure the front differential has been replaced with the newly recalled one. Rovers are great vehicles, just quirky ones. So don't let the littlest of issues convince you to take it to the dealer for diagnostics. Many of the newer rovers have electrical problems that can be random or reoccurring, just know that you will encounter a few and be prepared. Good luck!
There are no such thing as better engine except the Horse power. 03 , 04 or 06 are good engine. it just depend on how the previous owner took care of the engine. If you are mechanically incline, you can tell by just looking and checking the engine if there is something wrong with it.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:13 AM
1st Gear

if you can possibly afford to get an '06 or newer, do. don't buy ANY range without an extended warranty.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:33 PM
1st Gear
Smile New 2009 Land rover range rover price

new rover owner and new member here. looking forward to learning about rovers and all that goes with them. if you are looking at going new i got mine through transdeal.ca (canadian company) and got a little over $14000 of sticker. they do used vehicles too. anyone in toronto know where the good paths are in ontario?

Old 09-03-2009, 08:09 AM
4wd High

In 2006 I purchased a 2004 RR with 88,000-miles on it and bought an extended warranty from Warranty 4 Wheels, Inc.

The only issue I had was that my water pump went up the first summer I owned it. It cost about $800 at Land Rover to fix but my warranty covered it. I believe I paid $1400 for the 48,000-mile warranty.

I sold the vehicle with 125,000-miles on it and the warranty was transferable and still good until 136,000-miles. I sold it to buy a 2006 RR S/C.

Any vehicle can have a problem. Depends whether it was made on Tuesday afternoon or on a Friday afternoon right before Happy Hour and the workers are itchin to get out of the plant.

Old 09-03-2009, 02:47 PM
4wd Low

I agree with mchassler! Hey you only live once, if you listen to those with negative feedback that is your choice. Now if you don't have a good stable job or money , don't do it. I know is is very affordable but anything that break will cost you money just like BMW, Lexus or any high end cars.

Quick Reply: Buying a '03-'04 RR.....Tips???