General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clicking noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006 | 12:29 PM
|
Mudding
Default Clicking noise

I was checking over the motor this morning and noticed a steady clicking noise, it's noticable from the bottom but it resonates through the whole bottom driveline, from the top it sounds like it comes from a valve cover, Is this noise the injectors or could it be Rod bearings?

Old 05-13-2006 | 03:50 PM
Administrator
Default RE: Clicking noise

ORIGINAL: esaycho

I was checking over the motor this morning and noticed a steady clicking noise, it's noticable from the bottom but it resonates through the whole bottom driveline, from the top it sounds like it comes from a valve cover, Is this noise the injectors or could it be Rod bearings?
Give us some "HELP", what kind of vehicle, year model and mileage???
Mike

Old 05-13-2006 | 07:10 PM
|
Mudding

97 4.6 HSE i 153,xxx miles, sorry about that, also the valve cover gasket has had to be replaced twice, so i kno that oil has leaked for a while in between both changes

Old 05-13-2006 | 08:18 PM
Administrator

OK,
Could be a couple of things, broken exhaust stud or bad exhaust gasket, bad rocker arm, sticking lifter or flat spot on a cam lobe or bad oil pressure.
How mechanical are you can do you want to get walked thru some things to do and check?
Mike

Old 05-13-2006 | 08:47 PM
|
Mudding

I pretty much do all the work, i do kno that i also have an exhaust leak, walk through's would probably be nice,

Old 05-13-2006 | 09:18 PM
Administrator

At your mileage, not knowing what sort of maintanence it has had, and based on how rich these engines run, I would would make a couple of suggestions.
Consider do a engine flush using of the many engine flush products you can fins at the auto parts store. Do the flush, allow it to idle for 10 to 20 minutes, then change the oil and filter. If you have access to a mechanical oil pressure guage, I would then check and see what sort of oil pressure you have hot and cols, at idle and at 2000 RPMs. while idling, pull one plug wire at a time and see if the noise gets louder for that particular cylinder. Consider replacing both v/c gaskets inspecting and cleaning the rockers with a good sray cleaner. If you still don't see anything then it is time to pull the oil pan, make sure you have checked the oil pressure first, looking for any oil pick up tube blockage, which is common with these engines, here again, clean everything with spray cleaner make sure you get all the old sludge out, inspect real well before you buttom her up.
New oil, fire it up and listen, if it is still there, it is probably time to get serious and check the cam, rockers and lifters.
That's what it will take, in that order to find, clean u and fix an internal noise.
Good luck,
Mike

Old 05-13-2006 | 11:35 PM
|
Mudding

thanks and ur guess is as good as mine as what maintenece is done, there is not one service stamped in the passport to service but come tomorrow or next weekend i will do those things. Thanks i owe you one

Old 05-13-2006 | 11:42 PM
Administrator

Let me know how it turns out, hopefully it will be something easy and cheap. You will be surprised what just flushing the engine can do. I had a guy in Austrialla do my H.D. engine flush, emptying the crank case and using 6 qts. of ATF instead of the engine flush. Cleaned that old engine so he could eat out of it.
Mike

Old 05-18-2006 | 01:55 AM
Three Wheeling

Hey guys, I just acquired a 94 RR Classic LWB with the 4.2, 168000 and immaculate except...I have the same kind of problem. It seems to be worse first thing in the morning...cold start...my oil light stays on longer than any other light at startup. The noise then fades a bit after about 30 seconds to a light tick. It is a tough one to nail down, but DM seems to know the proper order to go about it.
I'm thinking mine is going to be all of the above. Starting with new oil sending unit (check pressure and pump while out), get oil pump rebuild kit, drop oil pan, clean top end and hope the noise goes away. I'm hoping for the oil blockage.
Check the weight of the oil in it. You may just need to get something a little thicker. When I got mine; it had 10W40 in it. I put 5 quarts of Castrol GTX 20W50 and 1 Quart of Lucas Engine Treatment and it has improved over the last 300 miles. I will drive it for a few more miles then do the above mentioned items.

Old 05-18-2006 | 11:18 AM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

At your mileage, not knowing what sort of maintanence it has had, and based on how rich these engines run, I would would make a couple of suggestions.
Consider doing an engine flush using one of the many engine flush products you can find at the auto parts store. Do the flush, allow it to idle for 10 to 20 minutes, then change the oil and filter. If you have access to a mechanical oil pressure guage, I would then check and see what sort of oil pressure you have hot and cols, at idle and at 2000 RPMs. while idling, pull one plug wire at a time and see if the noise gets louder for that particular cylinder. Consider replacing both v/c gaskets inspecting and cleaning the rockers with a good sray cleaner. If you still don't see anything then it is time to pull the oil pan, make sure you have checked the oil pressure first, looking for any oil pick up tube blockage, which is common with these engines, here again, clean everything with spray cleaner make sure you get all the old sludge out, inspect real well before you buttom her up.
New oil, fire it up and listen, if it is still there, it is probably time to get serious and check the cam, rockers and lifters.
That's what it will take, in that order to find, clean u and fix an internal noise.
Good luck,
Mike

Quick Reply: Clicking noise