General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering a Range Rover

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 02:28 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering a Range Rover

Wanted to get your guys' thoughts on the L322 Range Rover model (03-present). We're considering selling our DII in the future and looking to avoid the days of replacing head gaskets, oil pumps, front prop shafts and having to constantly remind my wife of keeping a constant ear out for noises during cold starts, noises at operating temperature to avoid catastrophic failures.

Based upon some research an 05 and 07 seem to be the models to get based on reliability ratings. It would be my wife's, so off road capability and heritage is not at play here. Just want to know what are typical problems with these cars.

I will say, even though mechanically our DII's have their share of problems, I can fix them usually no matter the problem and is the very reason we would keep the one we have. The RR would scare me due to possible electrical issues and air suspension faults; basically things that really have no solution besides taking it to a dealer for diagnosis and a **** ton of money on parts with little in labor (the one thing I have control of now.)

Old 12-29-2011, 02:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Man I would just go with a Ford Expedition if you're looking to avoid problems.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:40 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by DiscoRover007
Man I would just go with a Ford Expedition if you're looking to avoid problems.
Not looking to avoid problems per se, as owning any LR will have some degree of unreliability, just looking to avoid the ones we encounter with DII's. Look, if I were driving it everyday and it's was solely my car then I could really care less since I am much more informed on the issues with these trucks and know what to look for and do if anything goes wrong. My wife, not so much. I'm waiting for the day the thing overheats and I get a call that she drove it till it stopped.

If the consequences of just a little neglect or not being informed weren't so dire, I wouldn't consider owning anything else than what I have. Plus would like to stay in the Land Rover family.

Last edited by SolbergFanBoi; 12-29-2011 at 03:11 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:53 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Subscribed, I've always wondered the same thing....just for future reference. I think the Mk III RR's are one of the best looking vehicles ever made.

"...and having to constantly remind my wife of keeping a constant ear out for noises during cold starts, noises at operating temperature to avoid catastrophic failures."

^HAHA^ I got a kick out of this line, as i'm in the exact same boat

Old 12-29-2011, 03:14 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII
Subscribed, I've always wondered the same thing....just for future reference. I think the Mk III RR's are one of the best looking vehicles ever made.

"...and having to constantly remind my wife of keeping a constant ear out for noises during cold starts, noises at operating temperature to avoid catastrophic failures."

^HAHA^ I got a kick out of this line, as i'm in the exact same boat
Glad I'm not the only one! I too agree, they are pure sex on wheels

Old 12-29-2011, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

I've heard the Jag engine is better than the BMW engine (as hard as that is for me to believe). So 06 and newer?

I think they were just talking about this today... maybe on pirate? Not sure it won't load for me right now.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:49 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It just makes me sick that they won't import this anymore:
Explore the Land Rover Defender | Land Rover UK

22k GBP is 33K USD... If I was going to go for any other Rover...

Old 12-29-2011, 07:47 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I too have heard 07 RR is very good. I also like the RR sport. I never hear anything bad about them.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:15 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On a side note, Jeremy Clarkson from Top Gear drives one, mind you it's a diesel, but that's gotta say something right?

Old 12-30-2011, 12:33 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by jafir
I've heard the Jag engine is better than the BMW engine (as hard as that is for me to believe). So 06 and newer?

I think they were just talking about this today... maybe on pirate? Not sure it won't load for me right now.
The AJ V8 is quite good, don;t know much about it in the 4.4l form but I had the Supercharged 4.0l AJ V8 in my old XJR and it was a great engine. A bit of an oil burner and as long as you upgraded the secondary timing chain tensioners you were good to go. Might be something to consider if we do this but price will ultimately be the kicker here. The 05 seems to have a good reputation and a lot cheaper.

Originally Posted by skyguy
I too have heard 07 RR is very good. I also like the RR sport. I never hear anything bad about them.
Both GREAT cars but again , the 05 might be the best bang for the buck.

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII
On a side note, Jeremy Clarkson from Top Gear drives one, mind you it's a diesel, but that's gotta say something right?
Jeremy Clarkson is the man, although his pocket is much deeper than mine!

Quick Reply: Considering a Range Rover