General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

crank sensor problem?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 12:12 AM
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default crank sensor problem?

Hi all. I have searched the archives, but can't seem to locate the answer to my questions there, so here goes:

The vehicle is a California-spec 2001 Range Rover.

The car had been stalling randomly (would start back up OK), until today it stalled and now won't start. Cranks normally. Recently I took it in for a smog check, it failed. The check-engine light came on, and the OBD II diagnostic codes are:

Emissions-related Powertrain DTCs, Mode 3:
ECU ID: 12 P0335
Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Malfunction P1884
Manufacturer specific code

and;

Continuously-Monitored Systems DTCs, Mode 7:
ECU ID: 18 P0560
System Voltage Malfunction P1667
Manufacturer specific code

These were all read from the smog machine.

The tech said it's probably the crank position sensor. The voltage issue may be due to the fact the battery went dead recently, and I charged it back up. The truck hasn't been driven much recently, so all the electronics may have slowly drawn it down.

Anyway, can someone please tell me where on the bellhousing the crank angle sensor is located? I heard that on the Disco they are a tight fit to change. Is this also the case on the RR?

Any suggestions welcome!

thanks in advance.

Dana

Old 02-19-2008, 10:20 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: crank sensor problem?

I had similiar problems w/ my '97 disco 4.0se7 - I replaced crank sensor (driver's side near flywheel underneath.) It would have taken 15mins. but I diddled around. - Trucks' run fine for last year. As I recall it was cheap - $60 @ dealer? (parts cost)

My '96 RR 4.0se is the same (and I think due) it dies 6times a year & sometimes doesn't start instantly like my disco
I'm not sure which engine you have, but I think it's the same.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:19 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Sound like a crank sensor for sure, trouble is, I don't know where it is located on your particular engine, Sorry.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:18 PM
Winching

I wish I hadn't seen this post - lacruiser, If your '01 is a 4.0,4.6 - p38, rover rennovations has oem ones listed new for $36 LR part# err6119, They're all over for $60 - $90 (I'll be ordering one tomorrow)

If you crawl under your drivers side, you'll see under the exhaust manifold, the sensor mounted to the front of the bell bousing facing the rear of the car.
It has a 2wire plug, 2 mounting bolts, (small - 8mm heads?) -LOOKOUT - I think the new one comes w/a spacer - you may or may not need it.
If your old one has it, andyou mount the new sensor w/out it, your torque converter will slap the probe to the next state.

goodluck, greg

P.S.- I looked in my Rave cd - it indicates your's is a 4.6 engine, it should be the same as mine, tho' I don't know about Cal emissions

Old 02-20-2008, 06:38 PM
5th Gear

Guys, thanks so far for the info.

I crawled under the car today, and I couldn't find the darned thing! On the US drivers side (left side of the car), there are what look like transmission cooling pipes that run next to the bellhousing, and also the cat converter blocks things and precludes getting any sort of look at things, let alone getting hands/tools into that space. How in the devil are you supposed to change the sensor, if that's it's location?

Unless I'm missing something?

Is it possible the sensor is mounted at the front of the engine? I found a sensor (or something like it) mounted above the crankshaft pulley, with a three-wire plug same as the crank sensor I got from the parts house.

And Greg, my parts house gave me a sensor with the part number ERR 7354, so either it's a different sensor altogether, of they have superceded to another number.

This thing looks a bit like a small motor, the probe looks like a small round shaft about 1/8" diameter with two flat sides, maybe 3/4" long. Is there any trick to installing them (aside frome the spacing issue Greg mentioned)? Like does the engine crank have to be in any particular position before the old one is removed? I don't think so, but I sure would rather ask now than be sorry later.

And yes, this is a 4.6 SE 2001 model.

thanks again

Dana

Old 02-20-2008, 08:43 PM
Winching

DiscoMike will replacing the crankshaft sensor require a CASE relearn procedure?

Old 02-20-2008, 08:52 PM
Winching

MY BAD - the 6119 was for '96-'98 4.0/4.6 ($36), 7354 is the one for '99-'02 4.6 ($59)
sorry

Old 02-28-2008, 01:40 AM
5th Gear
Default RE: crank sensor problem? FOLLOWUP

Hey, I just wanted to post a quick note of thanks to the folks who responded to me. Yes, this was the problem, and I was able to change out the part without too much trouble. It is located on the Left side of the engine block, about same height as the starter on the opposite side of the block.

I couldn't see the plug (Catalytic converter and exhaust manifold in the way) and trying by feel to disconnect it from underneath the vehicle didn't work too well, so I ended up removing the left wheel and plastic inner-fender splash shield. That afforded visible access to the plug so that I could then disconnect the old and plug in the new.

Thanks again for the help, guys.

Dana

The following users liked this post:
Daisy Green (04-15-2020)
Old 03-31-2009, 05:13 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 rr won't start

my girlfriend has a rr 2001, had been making a squeelling sound for about a week or so, b/4 she could take and have checked it will not start, cranks fine just won't start.any suggestions?

Old 10-07-2009, 05:59 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank Shaft Sensor

Sounds like a crank shaft sensor problem, It's mounted on the driver side of the american vehicles, above the exhaust V on the right side of the flywheel casing. Land Rover had the bright idea to make the sensor ring thats attached to the flywheel to be held on with rivets so sometimes it gets lose and smacks the sensor, causes the engine to cut off at a certain rpm due to the fact it tells the air flow sensor its getting too much fuel and to cut it back. i think on newer models they added a second sensor but if one goes the engine still does funny things. If you depress the car beyond what the car is setting the fuel limit too the engine will stall out and then it will just crank over or start for a few seconds at a very low rpm like 200 o and then stall out.

Last edited by gcredlon; 10-07-2009 at 06:04 AM.

Quick Reply: crank sensor problem?